Shock and bring CYA up at the same time? Newb

May 19, 2008
Deeetroit
Hello all,

A newb here, but been lurking for a couple of weeks.

My TF100 came yesterday, and my numbers are good except for no CYA. I was using the frog last year, but am converting to the BBB.

I need to shock, and bring up my CYA, can I do this at the same time?

also I notce a difference in shock levels between chemgeeks, and ben's charts, does one seem to be more accurate than the other?

Also look at my notes on the TA test. did I do it right?

24' AGP, 13,500 gal.

FC-2.0
CC-.5
TC-2.5
PH- didnt test yesterday, was 7.2 last week after filling for opening
TA-130-150 (test turned light purple after 13 drops, fuller purple at 15, no change at 17)
CH-100
CYA- can still see the dot at 20, I will have the pool store test this afternoon

Welcome to TFP grindliner!!

Di-chlor powder will both add chlorine anf cya to the pool and can be used to shock the pool, it will drop the pH some, so you need to keep an eye on that. Or, you could just buy and add some cya powder/ granules and add that while using bleach to do the shocking (this is probably a less expensive and better way of doing it as you can more accurately target the desired cya rise - then again chem_geek can tell you exactly how much cya is being added vs. the amount of cl raised [IF I remember correctly :roll: it's 6 ppm cya for every 10ppm chlorine added])

You are doing the TA test correctly - the test is not complete until adding one more drop makes no change - do not count the drop that didn't change the color (I'd say your TA is ~ 160)

Both charts do the job of giving a pool owner a good number to aim for when treating the pool - I would say that Richard's is more accurate/ complete than Ben's - Richard has made a study of this and 'tweeked' it over time as new data became available, Ben was basing his on experience with ~ what levels worked best - however, as I said, either one is better than the advice you'd get from most pool 'pros'

Again, welcome to TFP! - I sincerely hope that you have a trouble free pool - if something comes up, you know where to find us! :-D

waste said:
Welcome to TFP grindliner!!

You are doing the TA test correctly - the test is not complete until adding one more drop makes no change - do not count the drop that didn't change the color (I'd say your TA is ~ 160)

So, then the T/A test should actually turn purple (think grape juice) as opposed to red per the kit instructions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.