Borate/Chlorine Question

MNPoolboy

In The Industry
Jun 19, 2013
Minnesota
I'm fairly new to this and have been getting "pool stored" for awhile...until I came across this site! I have the TF-100 kit, speed stir, salt test kit and borate strips on order so I can stop getting +^#^%#'! With by my pool store. 7 days ago my pool store told me my free chlorine was over 16.59ppm, borate 35, ph 7.4, hardness 219, alk w/stab core. 145.1, cya 33. Today they said free chlorine 2.25, ph 7.6, hardness 217, alk w/stab corr 122, cya 37, borate 0. I non ch shocked my pool, and dropped my swg to 10%. They told me that my 35 borate from last week did not read correctly because of the high free ch reading. Is this true? And w/normal use in 7 days can my free ch go down that much? I have a 28,000, rectangle, auto cover, swg, jany var speed 1.5 (running at 1950rpm 24/7), and heat to 89degrees. I know I need to wait for my kit, but any help in the mean time would be appreciated! Thanks! :hammer:

MNPoolboy said:
I'm fairly new to this and have been getting "pool stored" for awhile...until I came across this site! I have the TF-100 kit, speed stir, salt test kit and borate strips on order so I can stop getting +^#^%#'! With by my pool store. 7 days ago my pool store told me my free chlorine was over 16.59ppm, borate 35, ph 7.4, hardness 219, alk w/stab core. 145.1, cya 33. Today they said free chlorine 2.25, ph 7.6, hardness 217, alk w/stab corr 122, cya 37, borate 0. I non ch shocked my pool, and dropped my swg to 10%. They told me that my 35 borate from last week did not read correctly because of the high free ch reading. Is this true? And w/normal use in 7 days can my free ch go down that much? I have a 28,000, rectangle, auto cover, swg, jany var speed 1.5 (running at 1950rpm 24/7), and heat to 89degrees. I know I need to wait for my kit, but any help in the mean time would be appreciated! Thanks! :hammer:
What is the CYA level (aka Stabilizer)? With a rational level of 40 and full sun you could drop 1/3 of FC a day.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.