new pool, need guidance

Jun 25, 2013
Wentzville, MO
We filled our pool a month ago today, and it has had crystal clear water and we've been using it since day 2 or so. The pool builder has had me keeping the ph really low (in the 6's by test strip) using muriatic acid for the entire time so far. I have decided to start making my own decisions and am afraid I'm in danger of over etching or pitting my pebble sheen. I got my k2006 yesterday and ran my first tests this morning and got some rather confusing results (to me). The test strips consistently show the chlorine as bright purple, and the pool has a very chlorine/acid smell so i assumed that i had very high chlorine. I turned the SWG from 65% where the PB had it to 50% and let the ph come up some. Test strips chlorine reading stayed the same as of this morning, but this is what i get using the kit:

FC 1.85 (did the test twice and got similar results)
pH 7.6
TA 30
CH 300
CYA 50
Salt 2900 (from automation system, no idea how accurate)
temp 83

We have been getting frequent pouring rain storms in the past 2 weeks, which I'm sure are messing with things along with the plaster curing. I may have jumped the gun somewhat last week by adding 12lbs baking soda in an attempt to increase TA for a more stable pH, but of course when i added the muriatic acid in the next day to lower pH that all seemed to go away. Just not real sure what to do next, and the test strips and my nose and eyes conflicting with the k2206 results confuses me (or I just don't get it anyway). Any help greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

You have some kind of testing issue with your FC. You multiply the drops by either 0.5 or 0.2 depending on which sample size you use, so you can't read 1.85ppm.

The chlorine smell is not actually chlorine. It is Combined Chlorine - chloramines - that is sort of the half-oxidized organic stuff in the pool. Organic stuff can be leaves, algae, dead skin cells, snot...stuff you don;t want in the water. Bleach oxidizes them; think chemical burning instead of flame burning. Chloramine would be charcoal.

I'd repeat the FAS-DPD (powder) test and see what you get for FC and CC.
[center:3lr2hrm3][youtube:3lr2hrm3]PHQG4tgQsFE[/youtube:3lr2hrm3][/center:3lr2hrm3]

OK, makes sense. I did it both ways for my 2 tests but used .02 and .05 and averaged the results. If I said that it's 18 does that still sound absurd? Sounds a little scary to me, but does seem to match up the strips and smell. What do I do, and how did I get here I wonder? A little more info - PB added salt last Friday and they had me keeping 2 3" chlorine tabs in each skimmer basket, 4 tabs total, at all times. The chlorine has always tested this color on the test strips, but hasn't had the strong smell until after the salt was added and SWG turned on.

I will absolutely redo the CC test when I get back home today. What i saw this morning is that when I added the 5 drops R0003 the water really stayed the same color. I'll admit that my lighting wasn't great and I was in a rush to get to work, and i had just counted out about 90 drops and it still had just the slightest pink hue to it.

90 drops at .2? That's 18 FC for sure. That's above shock level. Must be tough on the eyes and the swimsuits.

My advice: stop on the way home and pick up about 12 lbs of baking soda. It can be in one pound boxes from the dollar store, big bags from costco/walmart, whatever. Brand doesn't matter. Your TA is too low.

After the sun starts going down, shut down the SWG. Leave the pump on. Take FC & CC readings before bed. Get up a little earlier tomorrow and check them again before the sun hits the pool. By the way, the 10 ml sample is plenty accurate for this. See how much, if any, the FC dropped overnight. If it was less than 1 and CC is less than .5, you can turn down (probably even off for a day) that SWG and set the pump on a normal schedule.

getting better it seems
FC 14
pH 7.8
TA 90

"which will turn pink if combined chlorine is present" - no change, so is CC 0 or do I say it's 14?

EDIT: I see that you have already answered this elsewhere:
"It turns Barbie Pink when you add powder. You add drops and swirl until it goes clear. That's FC. Then you add the other drops. Does it turn pink again? If it does, you have CC and you add the 871 again, until it goes clear. That number is CC. Add the two to get TC."

Very sunny day today, SWG off, dog has already jumped in once, and we all plan to swim. That should bring it down some I'd expect. I've added around 30oz muriatic to keep the pH down some (PB really scared me into this due to new pebble sheen. need i be so worried?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.