Damaged Heater upon Delivery, Keep or Return?

Nov 15, 2007
Yardley, PA
Yesterday I received a new Raypack heater from a CA company. Took 8 days to ship across the Country. Delivered in the afternoon, my wife gets the package and signs bill of laden. (It was on 2 pallets with steel banding - she has not idea how to open it up and look). I was at work, we then get 1" of rain after dinner, so I open the wet cardboard after it stops. Find out the top left corner is dented down about 1". It appears to me that something dropped on top of this box, perhaps another pallet or box at some time.

Supplier wants to replace the top metal capping by sending me a replacement. (I have to reverse the intake so I need to take it off anyway). They of course do not want to eat the $450 shipping cost to send a replacement unit.

My question is: do I risk the potential of a hairline crack in the manifold or copper tubing, is there any long term risk with installing this particular unit with a new top cap. I worry about the freeze/thaw cycle here in PA that may accelerate any premature metal failure.

Or will I be fine replacing the "cosmetic" cap.

2mpbv2b.jpg

33najw0.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8027.JPG
    IMG_8027.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 48
Hard to tell from the pictures - you may want to take the cap off and look at the heating unit underneath for any damage. It looks like there is several inches of space between the cap and internal parts so it may just be cosmetic.

As Shuye said, the first thing to do is remove the cap and see if there's something more. If there isn't, I think you'd be fine with a new cap. However, I suspect that you're going to find more damage. That was a pretty hard hit.

If the side(s) are not bulging and it's just the top, I would say you're OK. The heat exchanger is probably OK since it's not at the very top of the unit. Just take the top off and inspect what you can. I would also then call the vendor and ask for something else for your inconvenience.

This is part of what I preach to customers that talk about buying off the internet. Yes many things you buy arrive undamaged but should it be, it could take another X number of days to receive the part(s). In your case, should the damage go further than just the top, then you're waiting even longer. Good luck and I hope you don't have any other issues.

BTW, you don't have to take the top off to reverse the headers/intake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.