Electrical Issues

kristinainaustin

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
We had an outdoor outlet installed for our pool, however, it has been trouble since day one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I turned on the pump this morning, then the saltwater generator an hour later, hoping to finally get these things running on their timers (I've been turning them on manually each day), but when I turned on the saltwater generator, it got really hot, smelled like smoke and wouldn't power on (and still won't). It had been working fine until this point! The electrician who installed the outlet has been out here several times, said everything is testing fine and can't explain it. We're calling him to come out again after this morning's issue, but, at this point, I'm losing hope and think our saltwater generator may be fried. Anyone had/heard of an experience like this?

Is the guy a licenced electrician or just some guy who claims to know alot about electrical hook ups?

If he's licenced and has inspected things a few times I'd have to think the lay out and connections are good and the unit is the problem.
If he's not licenced, well, could be anything I suppose.

I would guess that it is not the electrical outlet. Even though electricians make a lot of money it is not rocket science. It would be difficult to mess up the electrical outlet. The fact that he came out and checked the outlet, I would think it is the salt water unit. The only way the electrician could of messed up the outlet would be if he somehow hooked up a 110volt outlet to 220volts. This would not be an easy mistake. He would have to have a 220 breaker run to a 110 outlet. He could also have the hot and neutral wires reversed but it probably wouldn't cause a problem.

kristinainaustin said:
when I turned on the saltwater generator, it got really hot, smelled like smoke and wouldn't power on (and still won't). It had been working fine until this point!
What smoked? The SWG or the outlet?

The pump draws a lot more than the SWG, and if it shares the same plug and circuit breaker, the problem's most likely the SWG. There are Outlet Testers that will tell you if the wires are connected properly. You could also haul a big load item - I'm thinking toaster or steam iron - out and plug it in. That will certainly stress the plug, wires, connections, and circuit breaker.

Thank you so much for all of the replies! The electrician is going to install a second outlet and see if that helps (the big plug on the pump had to be at an angle on the bottom outlet to have to saltwater generator plugged in at the same time, if that makes sense, so he's guessing that's what was making the pump seem to work and not work, but is unsure about the saltwater generator). I contacted Intex and they are sending a replacement/spare part for the saltwater generator (not sure if it's a new one or just a part). It's good to know the electrician couldn't have messed anything up too bad as I have no idea what goes into wiring for electrical outlets. :) Also, the smoke smell was from when I plugged in the saltwater generator and turned it on, so I'm not 100% what it was from, but I'm guessing the saltwater generator. I never saw smoke, just smelt it. Thanks again! :) :) :)

Looks like I have to call them today. Mine melted over night, thought i smelled something the other day. Woke up to the code 91 with good salt levels a tad on the higher side. Mine was right on the connector on the cell the plastic looks a bit buldged and discolored. Anyways I was just curious to if yours had any discoloration or anything in this area, cause i noticed some of the other models have a different connector.

Mine doesn't have any discoloration that I can see. It didn't give a code and wouldn't even turn on. It had been working fine until that point, but I've only had it going for a few weeks. Hope that helps!

Yes it does help. I was just wondering if i should get one with the different connector next time. Mine was also fine till the last couple days. Anyways they had no problem with my claim. The fellow I talked to said the model number before I could finish reading it off all I gave him was cs. He also asked if Ive had it replaced before. Kind of makes me wonder if their is some sort of problem with this model. At least they stood behind their warranty :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.