Newbie pool owner just opening

bevbull

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2012
Haydenville, MA
We bought a new house with a pool last fall. I found your forum and was convinced BBB is the way to go BUT I my learning curve is steep. As you can see our pool is complicated. We had a friend who wanted to help us open but had several things happen while opening that needed to be addressed by the pool company. Three days ago after three thunderstorm delays we finally got the system going. We needed to order a new pressure release assembly so right now we are just CIRCULATING. The algae had plenty of time with the cover off to grow and get happy in the pool so have that to deal with.

The "guys" from the pool company that installed our pool and have maintained for the previous owners told us to add Pool magnet and circulate for 48 hours- done
I have the TF 100 so yesterday I did the basic tests
Chlorine- 0
PH 8.2+
CYA below 20
Then they told us to shock, brush and wait 48 hours-right now we are at 24 hours
The pool is no longer green but a brownish cloudy muck.
We are still just circulating waiting for filter part. We do not have an auto vac so the vacumming after winter with lots of debris will need be done before we can filter(?)- I am confused about this. The "guys" who helped us open told us not to filter until we could vacumm to waste and get up the dead algae and leaf debris.

I need help so I know what to do next. Do test again today and shock some more or what? Do I add CYA. Tomorrow afternoon- Friday, June 28 we should have the filter up.

Any advice would be appreciated.
:cool:

Learning curve might be steep looking, but in reality it is quite simple. You will have the hang of it in no time.

Have you read through the shock process in Pool School at the top right corner of this page?

For the moment... adjust pH. You'll need the TA reading to calculate the acid dose in http://www.poolcalculator.com/ Note that 8.2 is the highest the tester can read, so you may be above that. So recheck pH about an hour (circulating and brushed) after adjusting and adjust it again if need be. Then ignore pH until the shock process is complete.

Next, start the shock process. It won't go as quickly as it would if you could vacuum and filter the stuff out as you go, but you've started killing off the algae, so don't let it make a comeback! Keep killing it.

I am stumped a little right now. We have been having a LOT of rain and today we had an inch or more after I added 72 oz of muriatic acid at 1 PM. Do I keep trying to get pH lowered or start adding chlorine to get to shock?

I did a total chlorine test and
FC=2 ppm
CC= .5

TC = 2.5

Also when do I start filtering- our filter will be back in action by tomorrow PM? My husband is worried about clogging the filter with dead algae and stuff and thinks we should only vacuum and circulate til clear, then filter.

bevbull said:
I am stumped a little right now. We have been having a LOT of rain and today we had an inch or more after I added 72 oz of muriatic acid at 1 PM. Do I keep trying to get pH lowered or start adding chlorine to get to shock?

I did a total chlorine test and
FC=2 ppm
CC= .5

TC = 2.5

Also when do I start filtering- our filter will be back in action by tomorrow PM? My husband is worried about clogging the filter with dead algae and stuff and thinks we should only vacuum and circulate til clear, then filter.
What's the pH? If it's still high, you need to get it in range. We don't advocate dumping anything in just because. You test and then dose. Always.

The filter's going to clog with dead algae no matter what. Waiting until the end just means it will clog every ten minutes instead of every hour. There's going to be the same amount of crud in there.

Unless you have a waste setting - in which case you can vacuum the floor straight out the backwash pipe and avoid the filter completely.

Yikes!! Just did TA and it is 30. Yesterday it was 120. According to Pool Calculator I should add 23 oz of muriatic acid. I guess it it is an improvement but the pH doesn't seem to move. Patience- more required?
Just need the wisdom of the tried and trues.
pH is still at 8.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TA shouldn't move that fast...I suspect a testing error.

As for your pH woes, remember that 8.2 is the top of the scale. Your pH may have been much higher. Also, the scale is logarithmic, so once you start getting really high, it will take a ton of acid to get any kind of movement. Because of those magnitude changes, the pool calculator starts getting inaccurate for the big swings. I would use enough acid to bring the pool from 8.2 to 7.8 given TA of 130. Retest and redose after an hour, and keep doing this until you can get a pH reading of 8.0 or less. Then target 7.5 to 7.8 to get it dialed in more accurately.

TA shouldn't move that fast...I suspect a testing error.

As for your pH woes, remember that 8.2 is the top of the scale. Your pH may have been much higher. Also, the scale is logarithmic, so once you start getting really high, it will take a ton of acid to get any kind of movement. Because of those magnitude changes, the pool calculator starts getting inaccurate for the big swings. I would use enough acid to bring the pool from 8.2 to 7.8 given TA of 130. Retest and redose after an hour, and keep doing this until you can get a pH reading of 8.0 or less. Then target 7.5 to 7.8 to get it dialed in more accurately.

Add CYA before shocking, otherwise you'll lose too much FC to sunlight. Since it's registering below 20, it could be any value between 0 and 20. What else have you put in the pool (dichlor, trichlor, tabs, etc.)? Let's try to estimate what's in there before you put more in. Remember, CYA is easy to add, hard to get rid of...don't want to overshoot

FIRST add some CYA to get it to about 30.
Shock Process NEXT.
Note: The higher your CYA, the more chlorine/bleach you'll need to kill the algae, but CYA also keeps the chlorine from dissipating in the sunlight, and that's why it's used.
Read Pool School.
Use the Pool Calculator, plug in your numbers, get your Chlorine up to the shock level it recommends, and MAINTAIN it there. And brush and filter and vacuum and backwash, and repeat.
Yes, KEEP it there until the water is clear, AND until your CC is less than .5, AND you lose less than .5 FC overnight (in the darkness).
For a pool your size, have many, many bottles of bleach/chlorine on hand.
Test hourly at first if possible, then you will get the feel of how often you have to add more bleach to MAINTAIN the shock level of chlorine.

Good luck. We've all been there, and we're all still here, for you.

OK, getting there. Initial shock was with pool guys. I think it was trichlor. added 120 oz bleach this am with no change. so....cya or more bleach? So far this year no tabs. We have had 10 inches of rain this month so havoc with chemistry reigns! Working so will check again this eve. Also buy more bleach!

AP,
Oh, I didn't realize I was supposed to state that I had read Pool School. Should it be in my signature? Of course I have read every topic in pool school over and over and do I ever wish my pool and situation were textbook and that I could understand all the variables the very the first time I am going through it. That is the reason I am posting in Getting Started. I am looking for the help and encouragement from trouble free pool folks rather the pool store.

Posts previous to yours did not suggest CYA before getting the pH in line. I think I understand the shock process but Pool School doesn't say specifically to add CYA it says to adjust shock level based on CYA level chart- see the shock process. Just looking for clarification.
Oh well, this being my first year, I am sure the next year will be a breeze and I will understand the chemistry, my equipment and what it's like when it works.

Bev,
We're very glad you've read Pool School.
You can't imagine how many new posters ask questions but don't try to learn.
So, believe me, we appreciate your desire to take control, and your willingness to learn. It's paramount.

And aside from your filter being out of commission, your situation isn't very much out of the ordinary.
(My filter broke this spring and I can agree, dealing with it is EXTREEEEMELY frustrating!)

You are on the right track. Yes, there is a learning curve. And it truly takes time and some effort to clear up a pool. Scoop out debris, vacuum, backwash, bleach, bleach, bleach. Again and again.

All in all, it's an amazing experience; one that provides an immense sense of personal accomplishment, when that previously mucky water is crystal clear.
If it weren't such hard work, it'd be magic!

Yesterday we had some positive breakthroughs with the pool.
1. Cranked up the filtrer but it seemed sluggish and had poor suction. Pool School to the rescue! Took the pump apart and cleaned dog hair and poplar seeds out of the impeller.
2. Wanted to get an accurate CYA reading so went to pool store. It was 50......I had been getting less than 20 when I did it. Any hints about getting more accurate?
pH seems to have settled at 7.2
3. Shocked and back washed but the pump seemed to clog every 5-10 minutes. From what people told me this might be normal but just wondering and needing affirmation
4. Got the spillway cleaned out finally -two days with no rain helped that

I still need a good 8 hours to get the FC and algae cleared up. bRushing but need to do the FC shock backwash cycle to really get things cleared. The water is a milky brownish

all for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.