doughboy install questions

Feb 2, 2013
NW Oregon
The yard is finally graded and leveled and since we had to put in french drain system. The cost was $4,000 but that did included rough leveling of the future pool area. We had an unusually dry spring but fortunately it rained for three days so I was able to level the area today and my kids are putting up the last row of the retaining wall so we are finally ready to put up the $100.00 pool!

After reading and reading here I have a few immediate questions.

On a recent install someone used 2" rigid foam insulation panels under their pool. but it was a soft side pool that hangs on polls. I think this would be a great underpinning, easier than sand and much softer than our hard packed clay and I also have some concerns about the liner staining due to the high iron content.

Can this be done under a Doughboy (12'x24'X48")? We want to make the underlayment larger than the pool foot print but would it be better to cut the foam to fit inside the pool?

We have a retaining wall (made of used tires). It's about 31/2 feet high and ~15" long. It curves around one side of the pool and will be hidden under the deck. We planned to set up the pool with an 18" space between the pool and the wall It's enough space for access to get the liner in but will 18" be enough room for an average size person to the assemble the pool frame?

Because we need to put in gas and electric lines for the pool and our hot tub the electrician will probably install the filters and pump. If we install the skimmer down wind from the prevailing wind it will be 10 feet from the best place to install the pump filter and heater. Is this to far? The pool came with two skimmers (one was never installed) what would be the ideal arrangement if we add a second skimmer?

Thanks in advance for any help. Meanwhile I will keep reading to see if I can find the answers I need.

Yes foam insulation can be used for your pool, the joins need to be taped very well to compete against the weight of the water.
18" should be ok for assembling the pool but that sounds tight for access once the pool is built, that's a judgement call on how much room you think you need if you have to get in there to do anything.
10' from pump/filter to skimmer is no biggie, the best way to go is hard plumb it with PVC or flex PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.