Pool Desgin - Need expert advice please

Jun 26, 2013
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some expert advice in putting in a pool. First off let me give some details.

I live in Toronto, Canada. The pool I'm looking at putting in is a 16*30 vinyl pool.
I want to put in all Pentair equipment (Intelliflo VS, Intellitouch, etc).

In any case I was wondering if it is worth putting in 2" flex hose (tigerflex) pipes or 1 1/2" standard straight pipe. Will the ribs of the 2" hose slow the water flow to that of the 1 1/2"? Is the flex hose just as reliable as the straight pipe? What do you think I should do?

As well if you have a look at the drawing, I have a 3ft, 6ft and 8ft depth (split in 3rds). Does anyone recommend this or should I get rid of the 6ft and just split between 3 and 8?

Any critiques on the design great appreciated.

view10.jpg

view7.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Really you would be best to use at least 2" rigid pipe ... it is a little more reliable / less problems than the flex pvc.

I'd be more concerned about the guts of the pool ... like filter size, making sure the floor and skimmer are plumbed separately to the pad ... you know the stuff that the salesmen gloss over but actually impact how easy it is to maintain the pool.

There seems to be a lot of debate on here about rigid vs flexible PVC use in pools, and it seems to me that those people in warmer climates have much better results with rigid PVC pipe, but perhaps those in colder climates may have better results from the flexible style. This is simply based on my personal observation, I live in a warm climate and have had bad experiences with flex PVC above ground around the pad, and have noticed that most strong proponents of each type live in respectively warm and cold climates.

I live a little north of you in the gta, and I have flex pipe. This is the art year for flex pipe.. I'm switching to hard pipe as I'm sick of leaks in the soft pipe. It also doesn't look as good. Every one I k ow here is switching from flex to hard as well.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta

topher said:
I live a little north of you in the gta, and I have flex pipe. This is the art year for flex pipe.. I'm switching to hard pipe as I'm sick of leaks in the soft pipe. It also doesn't look as good. Every one I k ow here is switching from flex to hard as well.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the reply...so are you switching mainly because of the leaks? Are you going to dig up your pool???

Isaac-1 said:
There seems to be a lot of debate on here about rigid vs flexible PVC use in pools, and it seems to me that those people in warmer climates have much better results with rigid PVC pipe, but perhaps those in colder climates may have better results from the flexible style. This is simply based on my personal observation, I live in a warm climate and have had bad experiences with flex PVC above ground around the pad, and have noticed that most strong proponents of each type live in respectively warm and cold climates.

Thanks for the reply. Where do you think I can find this answer? If you ask any installer they'll just tell you their preference. The particular installer doesn't want to touch rigid 2" because he says its too hard to work with but I really don't want to limit my water flow?

Am I making a big deal between 1 1/2" to 2" pipes? Am I making a mistake by going with flex vs rigid?

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Really you would be best to use at least 2" rigid pipe ... it is a little more reliable / less problems than the flex pvc.

I'd be more concerned about the guts of the pool ... like filter size, making sure the floor and skimmer are plumbed separately to the pad ... you know the stuff that the salesmen gloss over but actually impact how easy it is to maintain the pool.

I agree but the installer says that 2" rigid is too hard to work with. Most installers here in Toronto only offer flex pvc. As for the guts I'll be sure to mention plumbing the skimmer and main drain separately.

thanks

I see two potential bottlenecks, one in front of the chaise and the other between the corner of the pergola and the raised spa. I presume the pool is pushed towards the back and left property lines as far as it can go? If not, I'd forego some landscape space for space between the house and pool. Or possibly removing the bump out that is closest to the house and moving the steps to the end of the pool next to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bmoreswim said:
I see two potential bottlenecks, one in front of the chaise and the other between the corner of the pergola and the raised spa. I presume the pool is pushed towards the back and left property lines as far as it can go? If not, I'd forego some landscape space for space between the house and pool. Or possibly removing the bump out that is closest to the house and moving the steps to the end of the pool next to the spa.

Thanks for the reply. City bylaw states that the pool water line must be min 5ft away from property line. So this is as close as it can get. Having said that if the chaise is a bottleneck then either I'll only have two or I'll just move where there is more room.

As for the pergola and spa perhaps I can move the pergola closer to the house or get a smaller pergola. In both cases this isn't anything I can't adjust.

I think your right about the stairs, they should be at the end of the pool.

thanks again.

Im also from the toronto area (Burlington). Curious to know which builders you've spoken to. I also understand you're viewpoint. All builders I've spoken to but one, use tigerflex. I'd like to stay away from it if at all possible.

Try Gib-San if you haven't already. Was pretty impressed with their build quality and only do schedule 40 rigid piping and offer 2 main drains. I was pretty impressed with their attention to the details. A little more $, but worth it in the long run I believe.

Trollcifer said:
Im also from the toronto area (Burlington). Curious to know which builders you've spoken to. I also understand you're viewpoint. All builders I've spoken to but one, use tigerflex. I'd like to stay away from it if at all possible.

Try Gib-San if you haven't already. Was pretty impressed with their build quality and only do schedule 40 rigid piping and offer 2 main drains. I was pretty impressed with their attention to the details. A little more $, but worth it in the long run I believe.

So my issue is do I go with 2 tigerflex OR 1 1/2" rigid?

If I had no other choices, I would choose the 2 inch flex. With that said, if you want 2" rigid, I would ask what it they would charge.

Up in northern climates, flex often is used as some believe it is more forgiving with ground heave. Another advantage to flex is less glue joints, though the joints you do have to make must be made well. I have seen a number of pools up here almost fully plumbed with flex, and have not heard of many problems. Additionally, termites tend not to be a problem in northern climates.

EDIT: I see you are refering to tiger flex and not flexible pvc. My comments above were for flexible pvc...I do not know much about tiger flex for pool plumbing.

I would eliminate the stair bump out and put the stairs along side the spa. Reduce the size of the pergola slightly and run it the other way.

:-D Also that second story looks like it going to be really cold in the Canadian winters. You might just want a wall there.

chiefwej said:
I would eliminate the stair bump out and put the stairs along side the spa. Reduce the size of the pergola slightly and run it the other way.

:-D Also that second story looks like it going to be really cold in the Canadian winters. You might just want a wall there.

Thanks for the reply. The "stair bump" I think your referring two is actually a bug in my drawing....it drew TWO borders around the pool when there should only be one. I think that's what you mean right? As for the stairs, definitely a good idea.

Regarding the second floor wall....we can only afford one and not the other so we decided the pool is more important ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.