10 cents per kWh

mk1

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2011
Miami Beach, FL
with a price like that do I consider 2 speed or VS? My single speed is working fine but maybe it is worth selling on craigslist and upgrading?

I am thinking I might go with Hayward MaxFlo VS.
I think they only come in 230V though and my current Super Pump is 110(Ithink)

So maybe just a 2 speed?

Any thoughts?

Any thing else I would need if I did either path?

thanks in advance!

2-speed would be the cheapest ... especially if you just switched the motor and kept the same pump. Although it can be difficult to find 120V 2-speed motors or motor/pump combos.

The MaxFlo seems like a nice smaller VS, although it is going to cost you more upfront and you may never recoup that extra cost in electrical savings over a 2-speed. I certainly would not look at the larger VS pumps. And you are right, the VS pumps are 230V.

If you want other advice ... I would replace your filter WAY before I replaced a working pump. Because that is much too small.
For a 29k pool that is likely open year round, we would recommend a minimum of a 430 sqft cartridge filter ... yours is less than 25% of that size {unless your signature is a typo}

At about $0.10/kwh and 7 hours of run time per day, the Maxflo would become more cost effective than a 2 speed after about 36 months.

[EDIT] Changed the low speed run time to be the equivalent of 3 hours at high speed.

Here is a similar analysis:

Pump%20Cost.jpg

I can not possibly keep all the threads straight ... thus the request to keep questions together and signature updated ;)

If you are already planning for the filter, it really is up to you whether to try to get a little more efficient on the pump. It is always hard to justify the added cost to "save money" when what you have is working at no investment cost.

Given the 5 year breakeven that Mark posted, I would consider getting a 2-speed motor for your current pump (maybe even a lower HP with a smaller impeller) and then just keep the existing motor in the shed as a back-up.

Come on there are only a couple of hundred new posts a day....hahahaha :oops:

How would I go about locating the smaller 2 speed motor and impeller that fits the current housing?

I like that idea.....

Can you get more details off your current motor ... Service Factor and HP ... and try to verify the voltage it is wired for.
Would you be able to change it to a 230V service if it is not currently?

This is a 2-speed version of the 1.5HP motor: STS1152

There are probably other options that are smaller out there that would require more searching ... and a smaller impeller.

SP3015EEAZ 1 1/2HP 115/230 Energy Efficient 1.35 SF

I think it is a 115V but I also think I can rewire to 230 fairly easily. I have a good friend who is a licensed electrician...he will work for brisket and beer....brisket-pictures-t55783.html

What motor would you suggest if I wanted to save the wet end and go 2 speed?

Or should I just save it as a spare and get a whole new 2 speed or VS?

Seems I was over pumped for my little cartridge filter (150 sq ft)? Even witha fresh filter my pressure ran 25 PSI.

My new 420 sq ft filter came today and will be installed tomorrow.....

This is the motor if you save the wet end and go 2 speed:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Century- ... S1152R.htm

Looks like decent amp ratings when run at 230 (I dont have a basis for judgement on 110 - not enough research on my part). For my $$$ - save the wet end and replace the motor. The technology will only get cheaper and better over time. When this one goes kaput you may be to the equivalent of LED lighting for motors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update....and a question

My filter is in and the pool looks great, I don't know why the pool guy installed such a small filter when he switched me from sand....

I definitely have 20 amp 230V power to the pump.

I am strongly considering the switch to a VS pump. If I buy the Maxflo VS, do I need any other parts to make it work.....beside reworking the plumbing?

Thanks guys!

Not to beat a dead horse....

I have been having second thoughts.
My current pump is paid for and only 2-3 years old. The pool looks fine.
Maybe the most cost effective thing is just to replace it when it dies....

10 cents/kWh?

Here are a couple other options:

1) Reduce run time. Most pools can get by with very little run time. 4 hours or even less.

2) Replace just the impeller. Example

In combination, that could save quite a bit in energy costs.

Just as a thank you for all your help....

A pic of my water with my new filter....no trace of cloudiness with one quarter the run time.

[attachment=0:1byl356v]20130701_205154.jpg[/attachment:1byl356v]

Attachments

• 20130701_205154.jpg
    20130701_205154.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.