First time test results; need help?

Jun 18, 2013
Huntsville TX
Here are the test results from the new TF100 test kit. I have a 27' round above ground pool that was filled with fresh water (from city supply) on Sunday up to about 48" I added stabilizer/conditioner sold to me by pool store on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday through skimmer in a paint thinner sock. The pool has an auto chlorinator and it has the trichlor tablets loaded into it.

Test results on 6/26/2013 at 715 pm cst:
FC - 13 ppm
CC - 0
TC - 13 ppm

TA - 300

CH - 80

CYA - 60

pH - 8.2

Pool calculator recommends muriatic acid and calcium chloride.

I'm guessing I should turn off the auto chlorinator?

What else would you recommend, especially pool pump run time (it's been running 24/7 since Sunday).

The pool water is very clear in appearance.

Any other info I should provide?

Thanks in advance,
T O'Brien

With a CYA of 60, and no SWCG, You don't need any more stabilizer or pucks. Liquid bleach is the best you can use.

vinyl pools can get by with low CH, not needed. Calcium chloride will run this up.

Muriatic acid, yes. do 2/3 recommended dose then retest after an hour of circulation.

And what Richard said....... :twisted:

Tobrienlaw said:
Okay, wasn't able to retest until now. Looks better?

FC 11ppm
TA 210
CYA 70
pH 7.8

Pool calculator suggests adding 32 oz muriatic acid. Should I add it all at once?
How confidant are you of the volume?

Since this is a new experience - accurate testing and dosing - for you, you should go lightly with the acid and see if the results you get on pH and TA match the estimated effects of adding it. Scroll way down to the bottom of pool calculator and see Effects of Adding Chemicals.

So, instead of targeting 7.4, maybe target 7.6. See what it did to TA and pH tomorrow, then adjust pool volume if needed. I hope I'm explaining myself properly.

Like this?
Effects of adding chemicals
Adding [32 ounces of 31.45% muruatic acid] will Lower pH by 0.45 and lower TA by 7.3

I'm assuming you mean my pool volume? The max height on pool is 52" and that's to the top of rail. I have the water half way between the top of the skimmer and bottom of skimmer, so I'm pretty close I think.

I will retest again tomorrow. Should I follow the suggestions that to lower the TA you decrease pH to 7.0 to 7.2 with acid and then raise pH with aerating? I am using the calculator on the web site, I haven't purchased the apple app yet.

Thanks!

Tobrienlaw said:
Like this?
Adding [32 ounces of 31.45% muruatic acid] will Lower pH by 0.45 and lower TA by 7.3

I'm assuming you mean my pool volume? The max height on pool is 52" and that's to the top of rail. I have the water half way between the top of the skimmer and bottom of skimmer, so I'm pretty close I think.

I will retest again tomorrow. Should I follow the suggestions that to lower the TA you decrease pH to 7.0 to 7.2 with acid and then raise pH with aerating? I am using the calculator on the web site, I haven't purchased the apple app yet.

Thanks!
Your TA is fine.

Just check the results for a few weeks to be sure the effects you're getting match the effects you're calculating. If they're not, then you know to increase or decrease the number you enter for pool volume. Otherwise you will go crazy always over or under shooting on chemicals.

Tobrienlaw said:
Like this?

Thanks!

Pretty close on water depth for a 27' pool is a lot of gallons to be off for calculating how much chemicals to add. For example 1 inch of water in a 27' round pool is 358 gallons. I'd go get a tape measure and subtract the number of inches from the top of the rail to the top of the water and use that number. If you see your additions making bigger or smaller changes than predicted by the pool calculator, it can be very useful to adjust your # of gallons in the calculator so it can predict better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.