What size filter for 15k pool and intelliflo VS pump

Jun 8, 2013
I have a 15k gallon pool and looking to replace some equipment. I have decided on the intelliflo VS pump and a cartridge filter.

I have a waterfall, 4 jets around a bench and a pool heat pump.

I am not sure if a 240sq ft filter @ 90GPM would be better than a 200sqft filter @150GPM or what size I should go for.

I currently has a 120 sqft but with 1.5 inch pipes.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

For a 15k pool, our recommendation would be a minimum of a 222 sqft cartridge filter, the bigger the better ... that is really independent of the pump selection.

Any reason your want the 3HP monster of the Intelliflo? And not one of the smaller VS pumps from Hayward, or just a 2-speed pump if your electricity cost is reasonable?

I want to hook up the pump to the Screenlogic 2 to the intelliflo and run super low rpm's for 1/3 of the day, kick up the water flow for the waterfall for 1/3 of the day and back down to the lowest rpm for last 1/3. it would also be nice to really crank it up so the waterfall and the jets can work together at a good flow rate on occasion.

Well wait. Are you saying the 240 sqft filter has a max flow of 90GPM, but the smaller filter has a max flow rate of 150GPM?

May not matter as you may not be able to move that amount of water through the 1.5" pipe anyway.
Do you at least have two separate 1.5" suction lines from the pool?

Interesting.

If you look at the max flow rate specs on the site (not in the manual)
CC200: Residential 150 GPM , Commercial 75 GPM
CCP240: Residential 90 GPM, Commercial 90 GPM

So I think that 150 GPM is just artificially high and not where you would want to be operating given that the commercial rating is lower for the smaller filter.

Stick with the bigger one.

And you apparently have PLENTY of suction line available :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.