Borates - Before and After

Jun 14, 2013
Omaha, NE
I'm a believer. Had it at about 35ppm, drastic difference once I raised to 50ppm.

Borates at ~35ppm:
IMG_20130621_163812.jpg

Borates at 50ppm:
IMG_20130626_154707.jpg

There's 51 minutes difference. The before photo was taken at 4:38pm, and the after at 3:47pm. The picture definitely isn't doing it full justice. The light is definitely interacting differently. The sparkle looks way more "round" I guess? Not sure how to best describe it. But I was floored when I pulled the solar cover off today. I was skeptical about adding borates, but thought... what the heck. At 30-35ppm, I thought I could tell a difference, but wasn't positive. After getting to 50ppm. There's no question in my mind.

I'll try to get a picture at exactly the same time tommorow though. (Supposed to be another clear day).

I haven't swam in it myself yet. But noticed a difference right away when I stuck my arm in to get a water sample today. "Slick" is the best word I can use to describe it. But not like a film, just much less friction / resistance rubbing fingers / hands together and drying. Whether it's "better" or not... well probably a matter of taste. Based on what I'm seeing and feeling though, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm confused. In the top picture I see the ground next to the grass with dirt coming right under the pool except for a short section, but in the bottom picture it looks like the pool is on a base or platform. Is that an optical illusion of some sort?

As for the sparkle and feel, the borates tend to reduce the surface tension of the water. This is most noticeable when doing chlorine and other tests where the water in the tube with borates has a rather flat meniscus (water surface) while without borates the water wets the plastic more so the meniscus is much more pronounced.

Not an optical illusion, just finished my landscaping same time I was adding borates. ;)

The area is dug out from a slight grade, so I backfilled the dug out area and laid pea gravel down, and built a small retaining wall around the front side.

I had read about the science behind Borates, but wasn't convinced if the "effect" was going to be significant. Definitely was IMO.

I also have added borates to my pool it does change the refractive index of he water. There is a noticeable difference in the "sparkle".

bjoneson,
That looks ABSOLUTELY BEEEEUUUUUUTEEEEEFUUUULLLLL!!!
So inviting!! I wanna' jump right in. :splash: :party:

Now I reaaaalllyyy want to do it to my pool! But it's going to have to wait till I get the big one up, as I don't want to dump all the money on borates into temporary water. :wink:

Your kids just look like they're totally chill in the 1st photo, like they died and went to heaven. :thequeen: :wink: :wink:
What are you taking the photo from? The roof, upstairs window/balcony?
EDIT: Do you have a photo from before you added any borates at all?

I must admit, that 2nd photo looks like a composite you'd see on an Intex box or something. HAHA
Bravo! :lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.