Got my new test kit and unsure.....

new to the school :) just got my test kit tf101 and loving it but still not sure about results.14k Gal Marcite,IG pool with cartrige filter.Checked my water then went to the pool store to see how right I am.I think I got screwed again.My alkalinity came at 25ppm when I checked it at home it was 120.So I bougth 10 lbs and put it in waited a few hrs and checked again now 160. Am I doing something wrong.

Trust your test results. If your test result was 120 and the pool store was 25 and you added 10lbs of increaser and now TA is 160 then the pool store test was wrong. If you are unsure about your results you can always re-test, or post questions here and we will help you out. Go ahead and post your full test results and if anything looks odd we'll let you know. :)

Overall this should be a cheap lesson about the quality of pool store numbers, as it is something you can adjust over time, not something like CH or CYA that would require water replacement to fix

Trust your numbers. 10lb shows an increase of 51ppm so that's about right. So did they sell you 10lbs sodium bicarb. Im sure if you took that same water to another pool store you would get different numbers. Go on and run a full test and post your numbers.... Again trust you testing...

Welcome! :wave:

I see exactly what you're doing wrong - you're doubting your test results!

I'll bet that if you haul a sample down to that same pool store now, they'll sell you some pH-minus to get rid of that high TA.

A couple weeks of testing and dosing and it will all click and you'll be amazed at how really simple it is.

I just want to point out that it is not uncommon for the TA test to be a little high with a new kit ... this is due to the static electricity build-up in the solution. So if you are not wiping the tip after each drop, the drops may end up smaller than normal by jumping off the tip too quickly resulting in a higher than reality result. That said ... this would not account for a 25 to 120 difference ... it would likely only lead to a 20-30ppm difference.

novaman said:
IN,Plaster 14k waited A week and did a full test cl .05 ph 7.8 fc75 cc 0.5 ta 220 ch 370 cya 50 could someone please explane to me what cc is ??
CC is Combined Chloramines.
Bleach oxidizes organic stuff - think of it as chemical flame. The CC is the equivalent of smoke. Sort of half-burned stuff. When a fire is going good, you don't see a lot of smoke. When the chlorine is really oxidizing stuff fast, you won't have a lot of CC and you won't smell chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
novaman said:
Almost most 2 weeks since I been using my new kit and my pool looks like a fish tank ?? I can't get it to stay blue. cl5,ph8.2.fc80,cc0.ta150,ch290,cya60 I brush and clean the filter almost every day .
pH is too high. FC is right at minimum for your CYA, so if the CYA is actually higher or the FC has dipped below 5 for any length of time, that's why.

You need to add acid to lower pH and get going on the shock process. Every minute you delay, the algae will get worse.

Are you forgetting decimal places? How can you report a CL of 5 (what color is that) and a FC of 100??? If that is true, you have been adding ridiculously too much chlorine and not following the (now renamed) SLAM Process.

The Correct FC level you should be maintaining is 24ppm ... 100ppm is absurd.

What is your filter pressure doing? How often are you cleaning the cartridge?

So why in the latest set of test results do you not report the FC?
What color is the yellow OTO chlorine test (next to the pH test)? In reality you do not need to be doing this test. But your stated results do not make any sense. If the FC was indeed 100ppm using the FAS-DPD test, then the OTO test would likely be a bunch of brown particles floating in the water and nothing resembling a yellow color.

Read this: SLAM Process

novaman said:
Sorry the fc I missed it was 95 and the color of the cl is dark yellow.if i am missing any thing please let me know.

One of those test results is wrong.
How much water are you using for the FAS-DPD test? How much powder are you adding? How many drops are 871 are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.