Tired of Pool Frog

Jun 26, 2013
Hi all
I am a rookie to TFP but have friends that have said how great/helpful the site is.
I have been using the Poolfrog for years now and have realize how impractical it is from a cost, chemical and overall effectiveness perspective.
I would like to stop using the Poolfrog but am wondering how I could do so with as minimal disruption to the water as possible (ie: right in minimal of swimming season!).
As an initial start can I remove the mineral pac and use 1" chlorine tablets in it?
My goal would be to gradually make a switch to BBB
Thank you in advance for your suggestions, I apologize for the naiveness :-D
John

Treat it just like a bandaid. Just go ahead and rip it off. Be done with it!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Switching is really easy. Get a good test kit, read Pool School, read pool school again, and again! Once you have the kit, test your water and post a full set of test results. Remove the bacpac and mineral pac. Close the lid and forget about it. Start using bleach to maintain the FC per the Pool calculator. That's about all there is to it.

Bama Rambler said:
Treat it just like a bandaid. Just go ahead and rip it off. Be done with it!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Switching is really easy. Get a good test kit, read Pool School, read pool school again, and again! Once you have the kit, test your water and post a full set of test results. Remove the bacpac and mineral pac. Close the lid and forget about it. Start using bleach to maintain the FC per the Pool calculator. That's about all there is to it.

I agree with all of this other than the PoolFrog I left mine hooked up though as it provides an easy way to keep the pool chlorinated when I go on vacation for a week at a time. It adds a small amount of CYA and lowers the pH slightly when I use the tabs in it, but works great for that. I use strictly chlorine otherwise.

Read Pool School and read other topics in the forum. You will quickly see and learn how easy it is to switch.

Thank you both for the comments, I will order my TF-100 test kit today, and post my results as soon as I receive it!

@Rick,
You mention you kept your Pool Frog installed and use when you go on vacation. Do you use 1" or 3" trichlor tabs in it???

Thanks again
John

psu1823 said:
Thank you both for the comments, I will order my TF-100 test kit today, and post my results as soon as I receive it!

@Rick,
You mention you kept your Pool Frog installed and use when you go on vacation. Do you use 1" or 3" trichlor tabs in it???

Thanks again
John

Hi John,

I have an inline chlorinator - similar to pool frog, just a different brand (Aqua Smarte). I took the Bac Pac/Mizer Pac that contained the chlorine tabs (The one that came with the system after it was used up) and cut it in half. (around the center to split it into two parts), I then fill it with 1" tabs and tape it back together with electrical tape. I put this inside the chlorinator before I leave on vacation and set it to ~4/5. This seems to leave the chlorine right at the level I need. I did this last year and it worked great. Once I returned, I removed it and went right back to bleach. It raised my CYA very slightly, but no big deal when you know how to test and adjust.

It shouldn't matter what size tabs you use I would think.

What did you do with the mineral pac for the Aqua Smarte?? Did you leave that in also with your bac pac?
On the Poolfrog, the chlorine bac pac sits inside the mineral pac which sits inside the pool frog.
I was wondering if I could remove the mineral pac and bac pac and just fill up the pool frog only with 1" tabs?

It sounds as if you are still thinking that you will be using the tablets on a continual basis ... this is not what is being suggested. You can only use the tablets if your CYA is low enough and then only for short vacations where you are not able to dose with bleach everyday.

psu1823 said:
What did you do with the mineral pac for the Aqua Smarte?? Did you leave that in also with your bac pac?
On the Poolfrog, the chlorine bac pac sits inside the mineral pac which sits inside the pool frog.
I was wondering if I could remove the mineral pac and bac pac and just fill up the pool frog only with 1" tabs?

I removed the mineral pack from the aqua smarte. When I use the chlorinator for one week, I put both back into the Aqua Smarte. You are correct, they fit inside each other.

I think you are suggesting placing the tabs directly into the frog. Not sure about that, couldn't chunks of the tabs run out into the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.