pump upgrade -Hawyward VS Superpump - can it be programmed?

tieweb

Jun 26, 2013
Hi.

I have an older Hayward 1.5hp Superpump on my 20x40 gunite pool. It has a hairline crack underneath gasket for the strainer lid. I have epoxied it a few times, and could do so again, but thought it might be a good time to upgrade to a variable speed pump.

Visiting the pool store recently, they said the Hayward SP2600VSP would be fine for my purposes - it would be a direct hook up to the existing 1.5inch plumbing, and provides sufficient power at a price much lower than the EcoStar or Pentair pumps. The $700 price tag makes it much more doable than the >$1k pumps.

I was ready to pull the trigger, until I read the loan review on Amazon saying that while you can adjust the speeds for different durations, one of those speeds is not Zero. In other words, you can set the pump to run at x rpms for x hours, then at y rpms for y hours, but you can't adjust anything to actually turn the pump off. Reading the manual on-line, this appears to be correct.

If you can't program it to shut off, it would be running at at least the minimum rpm all the time, quickly eliminating any energy savings. I can only imagine that you can use an existing timer, like the Intermatic I currently have. But that would complete kill the power to the device when it's off, and I can't tell if that still maintains the set programming, or "resets" it, the same way I have to reset the Time and Language on my TV whenever I turn it on after a power outage. Even if it maintains the programming, it appears as if it would be awkward - if the Intermatic timer gave it power twice a day, I assume it would follow the same program. For example, if it came on for four hours in the morning, you'd have to set it to say 1 hour of full rpm, and 3 hours at low rpm, which it would repeat again in the evening. It seems it would take away some of the advantages of running high speed only in the evenings when rates are lower, etc.

Anyway, it seems as if because it's a new pump, there is very little information about it. I can't believe Hayward would put out a VS pump that can't really be programmed in the true sense, but haven't seen anything that indicates otherwise. I was hoping someone hear might have some insight or recommendations.

Thanks,

Tie

Re: pump upgrade -Hawyward VS Superpump - can it be programm

Normally that pump is used with an external timer, which you presumably already have. It starts it's two speed routine when the timer turns it on, and turns off when the timer turns it off.

They have designed the pump to be a drop in replacement for some existing pump, which is assumed to have an external timer (since no single speed pump comes with a timer).

Once your external timer kicks it on the Pump will go into a "Prime Mode" for 5 minutes. After that it will start it's programmed speed at setting 3. After that speed is finished it kicks into setting 1 for an infinite amount of time.....or until the external timer kicks it off. The next time the external timer turns on....it starts the same process over, keeping the same settings.

ps....it also has a setting 2 which gets skipped for some reason but allows you to set it as a quick program if an extra feature is needed. Example....today we had a large storm move in the area blowing a TON of crud into the pool. Normally I run the pump at 2000 RPM for 4 hours, but today I ran it at 3000RPM for 5 hours which was already programmed into the second program.

Thank you both for your quick replies.

If it's designed for use with a timer and does not lose its programming when it gets no power, it seems suitable for my purposes.

Interesting that it starts on 3. Certainly not an issue, you'd just think it would start on 1. Reminds me of the Spinal Tap "Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number..."

It seems you lose a little convenience in that you program it in conjunction with your timer, and can't really make the high RPM setting only for the cheaper night time hours. But maybe that's not such a big deal. It sounds like it achieves the main objectives of:

1) good circulation
2) lower operating cost
3) lower purchase cost

Being able to hook it into my existing plumbing without redoing the PVC is nice, and I imagine the 220v three prong electric cord I have on the single speed Hayward can just be wired into this.

Leebo, it sounds like you have this pump. Are you happy with it? It seems like a good option for me (cost, direct replacement), unless someone thought it a poor choice for any reason.

Thanks again,

Tie

So far we are happy with it as opposed to our older Single Speed SuperPump. We liked the options of being able to adjust the speed up or down depending on what the water "needed". I'm not sure if your three prong plug can be wired in as it shows only hardwired (but then again I know nothing about electrical work). We just couldn't justify the extra few hundred for a VS with our lower electrical rates. We did like the option to be able to adjust the speeds and times that for an extra $100 over a two speed pump, it fit in nicely.

mhoy said:
Was it any quieter than the previous pump?

Thanks
Mark

Very much so.....Even before the bearings went out on our old SuperPump you could hear it running across the pool. I've had SEVERAL people ask if it was running when I had it set to low speed (1300RPM in my case) standing about 10feet from it. Neighbor even suggested we toss some rocks into the skimmer to make sure it's working. :D

Thanks!! I'm strongly considering a Hayward SuperPump VS or more likely the Max-Flo VS (seems slightly more efficient) to appease our neighbors (and ourselves) when going for a dip.

When its turned up there is some noise put out, but not as bad as the regular pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.