Hole in skimmer side wall

codyt

Jun 19, 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
I bought our house from foreclosure last fall and the pool hadn't been used in a few years. It is an indoor inground pool.

I have a hole in the sidewall of my skimmer (see picture (if the upload worked)). I was told by a pool contractor that as a temp fix I could fill the small void behind the hole and use a 2 part epoxy to seal/fix the hole so that we could fill the pool and test equipment and lines. Does anyone have any recommendations on an epoxy that will work best for this? The pool is empty so I can do this fix in dry conditions.

Also, as you can see in the picture, there is a black ring in the skimmer. Any suggestions for the best cleaners/methods to get rid of this? I haven't tried anything yet.

Thanks,
Cody

Attachments

• Skimmer Hole.jpg
    Skimmer Hole.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 127
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the black ring.

That's most likely PVC or ABS plastic so you could patch it with a piece of thin PVC and some all purpose (PVC, CPVC, ABS) glue. If you go with the epoxy then A+B marine putty should work.

Bama Rambler said:
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the black ring.

That's most likely PVC or ABS plastic so you could patch it with a piece of thin PVC and some all purpose (PVC, CPVC, ABS) glue. If you go with the epoxy then A+B marine putty should work.

Thanks. Now I just need to find a piece of PVC that I can make to fit the curve of the skimmer.

After looking more at the pic, it looks there is a crack going down to the bottom of the skimmer below the hole. Is it or is that an illusion?
My repair advice doesn't change, you just need a bigger piece. If you know a plumber you may be able to get a piece of 6" or so DWV pipe about a foot long that they have lying around. It's thin enough that you could split it open, heat it and form it to fit the skimmer.

I was uncertain too if there was a crack or if that is some debris. I would certainly try and clean the area well before attempting a patch. Magic erasers, as suggested, are great for pool scum.

Also, You may not get all of the stain off of the plastic at this point. As you run your pool and get the chlorine levels within range, you will likely see some of the staining fade over time.

Bama Rambler said:
After looking more at the pic, it looks there is a crack going down to the bottom of the skimmer below the hole. Is it or is that an illusion?
My repair advice doesn't change, you just need a bigger piece. If you know a plumber you may be able to get a piece of 6" or so DWV pipe about a foot long that they have lying around. It's thin enough that you could split it open, heat it and form it to fit the skimmer.

Nope. That's just a string of cobweb with dust in it. There's a lot of that in and around my pool. It's going to take a good cleaning before I can get it filled. I'll have to see what I can come up with for a large diameter piece of pipe.

Thanks for your help.

I can't believe you have not provided pics of the whole pool for us to oogle over, cob webs and all. :shock:

Casey said:
I can't believe you have not provided pics of the whole pool for us to oogle over, cob webs and all. :shock:

Alright, here's a couple of pictures. The second one is of the ceiling from when we went to look at the house. It was a stucco type finish on drywall that was nailed to the rafters. Not too surprisingly, about two thirds of this ceiling had collapsed. The first picture shows the wood ceiling we now have in place. And it also shows a lot of dirt.

Attachments

• Pool ceiling at purchase.JPG
    Pool ceiling at purchase.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Pool now.jpg
    Pool now.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 64
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.