Convert from SWG to Chlorine

Feb 26, 2012
I'm thinking about converting my pool to a regular ol' chlorine pool. We bought this house with a 6 year old pool and I believe the SWG maybe on it's last leg (2 years and 3 months old). We have had major issues with out flagstone coping and apparently the white plaster (calcium scaling I believe) issues we have was due to the previous owner and their pool company not maintaining the pool correctly.

Anyway i was curious as to what is actually involved in converting from SWG to chlorine. I tried to do a search but they all result in the opposite going from chlorine to salt.

Thanks

No need to drain the pool or anything. Just turn the swg off and/or unplug it. Like I said, you may want to drain a little to get rid of some of the CYA if it's high. However, if it's in the 70 ppm range you can live with it if you want to maintain the FC that high.

If the CYA is at 40 ppm I'd just raise the FC to about 5 ppm and shut down the swg.

You'll have to test and adjust the FC every day for a while since you haven't been doing that. Once you learn how much it uses you may be able to dose for two days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.