4 inches of rain should help the CYA!

Jun 16, 2013
4 inches of rain in the past 2 days. Not good for swimming but lots of free water to help with the high cya problem. Time to go drain it down again so I can run the pump.
I am liking the liquid chlorine we switched to after discovering the high cya (150). I used to have to take apart the auto feeder to check the tablets and then try to regulate how much chlorine was going into the pool thru the feeder. It was a pain. Now I can just dump in the proper amount of liquid chlorine to get the level up to where I need it. Also the 1" tablets were very expensive and since we get full sun 10 hours a day we went thru a lot of them (thus the high cya issue).
Pool is holding its own so far even with high cya and high alkalinity (200). Working on bringing both down but as of now we are staying crystal clear with no algae and minimal chlorine smell.

Funny, I have the opposite problem. I have been trying to raise my CYA since opening with trichlor, but the rain is making that impossible for me. I've gotten 12.24" of rain this month, which means the little bit of CYA the tabs put in gets washed right out.

I'm needing to add some too. Before this storm we had a 30PPM level, but I've had to drain out about 1000gallons so far and the level is still high. I'm guessing about another 1000 gallons needs to go. When I tested on Wednesday I could see the dot the entire time so I tossed in a few bags of "shock" hoping to raise the CYA enough to at least get a reading. I'll also need to add acid to lower the PH for the first time this year as that went up quickly too.

Pool got a good vacuuming and brushing too. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.