Algae in Rocks above pool water line

shuye

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Missouri City, TX
I don't have any pictures with me right now, I'll try and take a few tonight to post.

We have a stacked flagstone wall on one of the sides of our rectangular shaped pool. Last night, while swimming with the kids, I saw some green algae inbetween a few of the rocks above the wall. This is an area about 2-3 inches above the pool waterline, but a place where the rocks get wet from splashing.

My test results from last night:

FC: 5
CC: 0.5
TA: 80
pH: 7.5
CH: 660 (need to test my fill water - has been slowly rising from around 220 last fall right after we filled the pool)
CYA: 45 - 50 range (just a little below the 50 mark)

I use a stenner pump to inject chlorine, right now it runs for 45 minutes in the morning around 10am and then another 15 minutes around 6pm. I am thinking of switching that up as I have read on here that it is generally a good idea to add the chlorine in the evening.

The pool gets full sun from about 10am to 5pm. The water is clear. I am in the process of trying to lower the TA as the pH does creep up and I typically need to add 20oz of acid every other day. The pool was built last August, and has a rock overflow spa and a bubbler on a small sun deck so that contributes to the rising pH as well.

Any ideas on the algae above the waterline in the rocks. I am thinking of just using a nylon brush and some bleach to clean it, of course that will flush the alge into the pool. I don't think I have anything wrong with the pool water as it is clear and I keep the FC in range.

Thanks.

Pool FC wont make a difference on that area, so that isn't the problem. You will have to stay up with it like you mention with bleach and mechanical removal. Your rising calcium could be a problem though, and it is too high. I would test the fill water for sure. Hopefully it is coming from that, and not all from your pool finish. Did you follow their start up procedure after filling?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.