Leaky pump and lines of skum on the bottom

Jun 24, 2013
New Jersey
Hello TFP!

I am new to the site and new to pools, completely. And I hate chemistry b/c I am horrible at it...but I am trying. This site has been invaluable so far and I hope to become a regular.

Problem #1

I have a round pool that is 21" across or so and about 5' high to the water level. I have a 2 HP, 2 speed Proline pump that is leaking between the motor itself and the pumping mechanisms. Steady drip. I planned to take it apart and see if I can replace the seals, but have no idea where I will get parts for this Proline pump even if I get the seals out. I have searched everywhere online.

So I am anticipating having to buy a new pump. Can you recommend an EFFICIENT, good quality, and reasonably priced pump for my size pool? I *hope* to be able to not run it very often to save $$. I will watch my levels carefully and hope that I don't need the filter to run 24/7.

Problem #2

During Hurricane Sandy, a tree feel on the pool and ripped the cover. When we opened the pool (grateful that the walls were still intact), there were sticks and leaves everywhere. We have skimmed and vacuumed most of it out. But now when we vacuum, it is almost like we can't get it any cleaner than it is. When we are done vacuuming, the bottom looks clean, but the water cloudy. After a little time, I guess the dirt/skum settles and there are lines of dirt/skum on the bottom again. What the heck?

I am waiting for my k-2006 kit to come in the mail, so I have no levels. I did shock the pool once, at the recommendation of the pool place, before finding TFP and starting Pool School.

Have any advice? I am hoping that once I get my kit and up my chlorine, the skum will clear up over time. But I don't know?

Thank you SO much for letting me be clueless and helping me get a clue.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you can post a picture or two of the labels on the pump we may be able to hunt down some more information for you that may be helpful to locate parts.

As for your second problem, what type of filter do you have? The filter may need some servicing to work properly. The other part of the problem is that you probably need to complete the shock process on your pool. Read through Pool School and pay special attention to the section on the shock process.

In order to make it easier for us to help you in the future, please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached).

Here are all the pics I have on the pump and motor:

[attachment=2:xalo5l53]IMG_0118_2.jpg[/attachment:xalo5l53]

[attachment=1:xalo5l53]IMG_0119_2.jpg[/attachment:xalo5l53]

[attachment=0:xalo5l53]IMG_0120_2.jpg[/attachment:xalo5l53]

Attachments

• IMG_0118_2.jpg
    IMG_0118_2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0119_2.jpg
    IMG_0119_2.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0120_2.jpg
    IMG_0120_2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 27
Here are my sand filter pics:

[attachment=2:2o1hnbdg]IMG_0121_2.jpg[/attachment:2o1hnbdg]

[attachment=1:2o1hnbdg]IMG_0122_2.jpg[/attachment:2o1hnbdg]

[attachment=0:2o1hnbdg]IMG_0123_2.jpg[/attachment:2o1hnbdg]

Attachments

• IMG_0121_2.jpg
    IMG_0121_2.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0122_2.jpg
    IMG_0122_2.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0123_2.jpg
    IMG_0123_2.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 27
Your pump was made by Speck under liscense for Namco. I googled Speck PE 71 and found a site that sells parts, pool parts online.

Your sand filter may be channeled, allowing debris to pass through. What you can do is open up the filter and carefully work a running water hose down into the sand bed and allowing it to flush out the dirt and debris. Insert the hose straight down a few inches being careful not to hit any of the laterals near the bottom. Gently break up any clumps you see. Let the water run a minute or two then pull the hose out carefully and insert it back into the sand bed a couple of inches away. Continue inserting the hose down into the sand until you have covered the entire surface of the sand bed. Then put the filter back together, backwash and rinse the sand. You should see improvement after following this procedure.

As I said earlier, the dirt may be algae. If so it will not go away until you have completed the shock process.

Great!! I will crack open the motor and get the parts I need.

As for your suggestion on the filter, should I open up the drain plug at the bottom or just let all the water pour out of the top of the filter as I go with the hose? Or am I misunderstanding.

Thanks a MILLION.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.