Recommendation for pool/pool size?

I need help selecting a pool/size. We're going through a little bit of a heatwave here in NJ and a coworker mentioned he had gotten a pretty official (I mean it had a filter and pump) 30" kiddie pool for his son last summer for $100+. So I searched online for a similar pool. I started out with a similar pool depth in mind, 10'x30", just something to sit/lay in and cool off. Then I saw I could get a 15'x48" pool for only a hundred dollars more (intex metal frame). Reading some more reviews, I found the 16'x48" ultra frame that most people said was much better quality than the metal frame for only another $100+.

Now I don't have a problem spending $350 on the ultra frame (and probably would also spring for the Intex SWG), but in a matter of an hour yesterday this went from a 10'x30" kiddie pool, to a substantial 16'x48" pool lol. I've got the space (my grandparents had a similar pool in the backyard 15-20 years ago) for either pool. Just wondering how the quality of the plastic (easy set) pools compared to the ultraframe, if I don't go for 48"? Any other suggestions on a diameter/depth?

Thanks

Edit: Couple questions:

How often do I need to clean the sand filter pump system? Is it just throwing out the sand and buying more? What's the cost at Home Depot/Lowes?
and
How often will I need to buy salt bags for a SWG system? What's the cost at Home Depot/Lowes?

Thanks

We had 16'x36" Intex pool for 2 years, was great for cooling off. 2 issues were 1 the filter was too small and 2 it was a PITA to break down and set up each year. Bigger is better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the advice, this is a dumb question but the filter that is too small is the included "1,500 gallon per hour filter pump"? What would be a more adequate size? And I know the "filter pump" has a separate function to the SWG, but how do they work in conjunction? Will I connect them in series somehow?

The intex pumps seem to be rated by the marketing department, not the engineering department, those 1,500 gph are at 0 head pressure, reality is when connected to a filter, etc. they only flow a fraction of that amount.

Keep in mind with the Easy Set you need to subtract about 6" off the water depth because they count the blue ring in the 30". We had a 16'x48" Easy Set, and our 18' x 48" ultra frame seems much deeper due to that fact. If you have the room and the funds, I'd go with the bigger one. If you have extra money left, the Intex sand filter will keep the water ten times cleaner than the cartridge, no matter how long you run it.

Yes the pump and SWG connect in series. They make a combo unit, however most suggest the separate units. The Intex stuff will come with everything you need to hook it all up.

Folks sure like their Ultras. But just to throw it out there you don't have to go to an Ultra to get bigger. Here's my 18'X48" East Set.

Rather than start a new thread, I just edit a couple questions into my original post.

How often do I need to clean the sand filter pump system? Is it just throwing out the sand and buying more? What's the cost at Home Depot/Lowes?
and
How often will I need to buy salt bags for a SWG system? What's the cost at Home Depot/Lowes?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to backwash the sand whenever the filter pressure rises about 25% above the clean pressure. You never have to replace it. It's millions of years old, a few more in a filter isn't going to hurt it.

You'll probably have to add about a bag of salt per year. That's due to backwashing and splashout.

oh, awesome...so just disconnecting it from the pool and "backwashing" it on the ground? Thanks...I might hold off on the sand filter/pump this summer and get it next summer (see how dirty the pool gets with the normal pump/filter). Definitely going to get the salt water generator though.

Don't forget to invest in one of the quality test kits we suggest, you will almost certainly not find them locally as few pool stores carry the Taylor K-2006, instead they will try to sell you the K-2005 and tell you it is the same thing (it is not). I personally us the TF-100 because while it cost a little more than the K-2006, it does give you more of the reagents that you will use the most.

Ike

Yeah thanks I actually just noticed that link when the board was down 5 minutes ago. The pool has kind of stalled for a minute though, my coworker suggested I talk to the town to protect myself in case of permits/regulations. The building official wasn't in, but they said I need to talk to him and also provide a survey of the land. Hopefully I can convince him this is just a temporary "kiddie pool" I'll take down every season and not a permanent (in ground) hazard.

Just got off the phone with the building department official, anything over 1' deep requires a permit, an electrical inspection (for the pumps electrical supply), and needs to be 6' from all property lines. Unfortunately with the amount of off-the-books renovations we're doing right now, it probably won't be possible to get all that done. :(

Sooooo, what's the largest 1' deep kiddie pool available? lol

We do have a chain link fence (4' I'm guessing), but the (flat) area where my grandparents used to have the pool is visible from the road. A couple of bushes could hide it, but my area is pretty congested with a decent amount of traffic on my road. So it would be risky...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.