Cracks in my gunite pool floor - Normal or not?

big_g

Apr 4, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Pool is gunite I think (how would I tell for sure?), ~13,000 gallons. Two cracks in the deep end. Not really sure when they appeared, I just now noticed them. I live in Tucson, AZ and it is 110 degrees, so water evaporates crazy-fast. So I'm wondering if A) I have a leak and B) If these cracks are normal for a gunite pool.
I'll post some pics tomorrow (it's dark out now).

Thanks!!

History: Pool was likely installed when the house was, back in 1982. The company that did it stamped their name on one of the steps (who knows if they still exist though). I've been here a year, and this is my first pool. All my levels are great (thanks to this site). I drained and refilled it about a year ago to get the CYA down (it was like 200+ or something insane).

You can check evaporation by doing a bucket test. Put a 5 gallon bucket of water at pool side, full sun exposure. Mark the level of water, and in 24 hours it will lose about the same level to evaporation as your pool if there is no leak. Make sense?

Oh, make sure your auto-fill is off. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.