Newbie with Questions

jmaff

May 24, 2008
Hi,

I just bought a house with a built in pool made with fibertek? with tile on the top(16000 gal). The previous owner was using chlorine in puck form with a floating dispenser. He was shocking the water every week with 2.5 gallons of liquid chlorine. I tested the water before adding the liquid chlorine and it was below 1. After adding the 2.5 gal of liquid chlorine the level went to 6. After reading some posts on this site I feel that I am shocking too much.

FC 6, 2 days after shocking
CC 1
TC 7
pH 7.4
T/A 80
CH 900+
CYA 50

Is the calcium to high. I have a whole house water conditioner and maybe this is given a high calcium #. I would like to use the BBB method. I am looking for advice. Also I have algae forming on the sides that I brush away. I was told to add algaecide, 4oz, every week but this doesnt seem to work. I live in FL with a lot of sun. Is this just normal for FL.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

I believe you haven't bleached I mean shocked enough.

A true shock is at 15 ppm or higher, depending on CYA.

If you're brushing algea, you need to shock it again... plus you have 1 cc and the only way to get it down is with another shock or two and then you can maintain a 3-5ppm cl.

Enjoy the forum and most of all, your pool!

And please do post pics! We luv'em! 8)

I tested the CH again treating it as if there was copper in the water. The number went to 750. The water is clear and there are no other issues. The previous owner was up to date on testing (he would send a sample out for testing, etc..)

I've also seen that some members don't use algeacide, at all. I am one of them, although I will use it at the end of a swimming season to close the pool... it does contain copper.

As for the calcium, I believe the way you reduce it is with a partial drain refill. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

jmaff,

Welcome to the forum.

There's some chlorine work to be done on your pool but I am really surprised by that CH level in your pool. A water conditioner would lower it....not make it higher. Have you test the fill water for CH? Do you have any idea how the CH got that high?

You have a very high CH level. You should measure the CH level of your fill water. I suspect the pool gets filled from water that hasn't been through the water softener. If you can replace some water with low CH water that would help a great deal.

Very high CH levels are manageable up to a point. You need to keep PH and TA fairly low to compensate. Both TA and PH are reasonably good right now. It is very important that you don't let PH go above 7.8, better yet keep PH below 7.6 so you have some margin for error.

Thanks to everyone.

As with anything new I just need to get confident in what I am doing. There was a problem with the test dropper. It gave a fine drop causing a false reading. I fixed and re tested. CH is 370. Everything is looking good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.