Time to replace pump and filter?

Aug 5, 2012
Pocatello, ID
My stainless steel pump has half-a-dozen pin holes which occasionally spray mist or dribble and otherwise stay quite dry.
My pump, working fine other than occasional bearing whine, is corroded along the bottom.
Do I need to replace both? Either?

If so, I have so many questions and appreciate any advice.

Should I get an expensive 2-speed pump? Consider my routine (any advice on improving this is welcome, too):
  • I almost always pump to the solar heater. As you can see from the photo below, it adds a lot of head.[/*:m:3i5zjp76]
  • I typically turn the pump on in the morning and off when I get home from work: about 8 hrs.[/*:m:3i5zjp76]
  • Note: Power is 7.84¢/KWH here[/*:m:3i5zjp76]

I have an SWG pool and sometimes get the acid or salt wrong and suspect this didn't do my filter any favors. Considering that and the height of the solar panels (rough guess: 30' height and 100' distance), please recommend a pump.

I like the idea of the Hayward combined filter/pumps, like this, but suspect a 1.5HP pump may be overkill for my pool.

Filter:
RMzJRAD.jpg

Bottom of pump:
9Xozy4o.jpg

Rise from my control system to the roof-mounted FAFCO panels:
5mxr9u.jpg

The motor s begging for a spray of water at just the right place to short - hopefully, no flammables around.
Anything subject to pressure (incl. filters) are fortunate that water is not compressible - but I would not want to be near the filter if the pump started putting out air.

Somewhere in pool school there may be the calculations you need to compute your loads. At the very least, using a single-speed sized to put water through the solar panels would be extreme overkill if you are not using the solar.

I'll shut up and allow the folks who know the numbers to discuss.

You have an inground pool. Those combo units are for smaller above ground pools. So the pump may not be self priming and the filter may be too small.

What type of filter are you going to get and I can recommend a size.

Is there any time of year you are not running the solar, but are running the pump?

jblizzle said:
You have an inground pool. Those combo units are for smaller above ground pools. So the pump may not be self priming and the filter may be too small.

What type of filter are you going to get and I can recommend a size.

Is there any time of year you are not running the solar, but are running the pump?
I think the combo unit I linked is for an IG pool, at least, a 31" sand filter and 1.5HP pump would have to be sized for a heck of a AG pool!

I've been happy with this sand filter, other than its numerous holes, so I think I'll go with that again unless you'd suggest otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.