Vacation for 5 days - how to project FC loss

Sep 28, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I recently learned the hard way that FC loss is not linear or constant. At a target FC of 5 ppm, I was losing about 2-3 ppm per day, so I thought that for a 5 day vacation, adding 3x5=15 ppm would be plenty of chlorine. But it was not enough and I got lots of algae.

I read some posts and learned that FC loss is closer to a percentage of FC. It looks like my loss is around 50% per day. So for another upcoming vacation of 5 days, I am thinking it will be impossible/impractical to add enough liquid bleach alone. What do you suggest I add? I do have some trichlor pucks, but the floater always gets stuck on the ladder. I am thinking of somehow tying up the floater so it has some room to roam but does not reach the ladder. I do not have a cover. Any suggestions? Thanks!

FC 5.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 60
CYA 40

lmleonard said:
What do you suggest I add? I do have some trichlor pucks, but the floater always gets stuck on the ladder. I am thinking of somehow tying up the floater so it has some room to roam but does not reach the ladder. I do not have a cover. Any suggestions? Thanks!

FC 5.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 60
CYA 40
That's what I would do.....unless you can have someone stop by and throw some bleach in for you. That's where an SWG or a Liquidator would be handy. You do have some wiggle room on your CYA. You may even benefit if it gets closer to 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.