Noob, chemical and skimmer questions

Jun 14, 2013
SW OKC
Been reading for about a week and got a few questions:
1. Can you install a thru the wall skimmer and hook it up to the factory pump/filter, or do you have to run it to a sand filter?

2. I tested using a 6-way test kit from WalMart (I know, get a good one. lol) and here are the results. I'd like to use the BBB method, so what do I need?

CL/BR= 1/2
PH= 6.8-7.2
ALK= 40
Hard= 60
CYA= -30

Attachments

• June 13.jpg
    June 13.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 76
Check this chart out. Chlorine/CYA

You need to add enough bleach to bring your chlorine to 4 or 5, near the top of the range of your tester. Your pH is a bit low, could come up a tiny bit. Borax will do this. Use the Pool calculator to figure how much. Add half what the calculator suggests, then test again in an hour. If it still needs more, do the half dose again. Sneak up on the target.

There are several threads here like this one skimmer above the weld, many have already added a through wall and posted how they did it.

I think those cheap kits only test tc so you'll never know how much is fc and how much is cc. You could run into problems if you don't know your cc level. Looks like you might need to raise your ta/alk and your ph.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, the ultra frames can handle the hayward skimmer with no problem. The skimmer relies more on gravity than suction. You may not be able to use a vacuum with the skimmer if you have a weak pump, but the skimmer will work as long as the water level is above the bottom lip. The only Intex pump/filter that is practical to run the vacuum through is the 2650 ghp sand filter (or the 4000 if you can find it). I've heard of some people that may have gotten some vacuums to work with the 1600 sand filter, but I can't confirm.

OT... (sorry) Is that a rotty? They are great dogs as I own a rottweiler too! The nubbins is giving it away! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advise, I'm gonna take it and hope for the best.

He is a Rotterman, Rottweiler/Doberman mix. Bought as a full blood Rott with no papers from craigslist, turned out after watching him grow and alot of research, he's a Rotterman. And he's a great dog all around, he's mostly spoiled to the indoors but when he gets outside he runs like a race horse (as you can see there is no grass along the fence) and he eats a ton. He only weights about 70lbs. I'll see if I have a better pic of him from my home computer later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.