Just received TF-100 Kit. New pool - Please help!!

Mar 17, 2013
This is such a great website with a lot of helpful people and information. Just a little background on our new pool:

Inground, vinyl liner pool in Northwest Ohio
SWG
27,000 gallons

The pool was filled with city water on June 10. The plumbing was not entirely finished as they had not hooked up SWG, Filter, heater, etc. They poured chlorine in on June 17. Then got the filter, SWG, etc. hooked up and cut the vinyl for the returns and skimmers. They poured salt in on June 19. Nothing else has been done to it.

We've used the auto cleaner a few times.

The test kit just came in today. The water has been getting a little cloudy and the bottom and sides a little slippery.

Here are the results from the tests:

- The Total Chlorine Test did not turn colors. After I added the R0600 the water stayed clear
- pH level was 7.2 after adding 5 drops of R0014
- The salt strip indicated a level of 2,930 ppm
- Total Alkalinity was 55
- CYA - When I performed this test, I could still see the black dot after mixing and adding as directed
- Calcium Hardness - 120 - After 5 drops of R0011L the solution turned a light pinkish/purplish. After adding 12 drops of R0012 the solution turned blue.
- Given the results of the total chlorine test above, I still decided to do the Chlorine Drop Test. Again, as expected based on the first chlorine test, the water stayed clear throughout the entire test.

So based on all of this... what do I need to do? This is our first pool and I'm really hoping to get my arms around everything!! Thank you in advance for your help!

You need to get some CYA In the water. 60-80 ppm for SWG. TA could come up a bit also. Get your SWG dialed in.

Also read pool school if you already haven't.

Sorry forgot about the cloudiness. You need to shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

You have no chlorine and no CYA. You have been too long without adequate chlorine in your pool and algae has started to get a foot hold. You need to start the shock process. It's gonna' take a lot of chlorine and it's gonna take some diligence on your part.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You must follow that entire procedure. Chlorine is a consumable item and your first dose to shock level will deplete very quickly so you will need a lot of bleach on hand to complete this process.

Get your CYA up to 30 ppm right away (hold off raising CYA to 60-70 until you finish the shock process) and start the process as soon as you can. I am sure you will have a lot of questions and we'll all help get your pool crystal clear....I don't think it will take too long given your description.

Do not attempt this process with your SWG. You will need to do this by adding bleach.

First of all, you need to add CYA to protect any chlorine you are about to add. After that, I would start the shocking process as outlined in Pool School. BRUSH THE POOL WHILE SHOCKING! :whip:

Some would say to bring the pH up first but me, I'd shock it first and once you hit a normal FC range for your pool, I'd adjust the TA and pH. But that's just me. The pH will read higher during the shock process. You shouldn't adjust it when FC is over 10ppm.

Thank you all so much!

TA is 50.. not 55, sorry. I thought it said to multiply by 11.

I'm headed to store now... just to make sure I've got this correct... I used the Pool Calculator. To get my CYA to 30, I need to add 113 oz of stabilizer/conditioner.

For 60 CYA, I would shock to get my FC to 24. However, so you are telling me to get my CYA to 30 first, what do I need to get my FC to shock at that level? Do I need to use the pool calculator to get my FC to 12 (half of 24?)

If I'm trying to get FC to 24, then I need to add 1,344 OZ of 6% bleach. Correct?

wahhutch9 said:
Thank you all so much!

TA is 50.. not 55, sorry. I thought it said to multiply by 11.

I'm headed to store now... just to make sure I've got this correct... I used the Pool Calculator. To get my CYA to 30, I need to add 113 oz of stabilizer/conditioner.

For 60 CYA, I would shock to get my FC to 24. However, so you are telling me to get my CYA to 30 first, what do I need to get my FC to shock at that level? Do I need to use the pool calculator to get my FC to 12 (half of 24?)

If I'm trying to get FC to 24, then I need to add 1,344 OZ of 6% bleach. Correct?
I get 108 oz. Close enough on the CYA.

You're only aiming for 30 CYA, so shock level is only 13. Which would only be 407 oz of 8.25% bleach. 3½ 121 oz jugs for the initial dose. You will be needing more, so stock up.

The CYA will take several days to dissolve completely. So tie it in a sock or nylons and set it to dangle in the pool like thus (in front of a return works best)

2013-05-22220453.jpg

image3rh.jpg

image4es.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.