No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter pics)

jeremy

May 30, 2013
Oceanside, NY
I am attempting to clean a Jandy DEL 48 for the first time. No idea how many times the previous owners cleaned it out in the 7 years prior.

Since it's an indoor pool, flooding is a concern, so when I follow the instructions, and open the drain cover, water gushes out. It slows down some, but keeps on coming. I also hear bubbling in the pipes around the filter pump.

Note, I have not found an isolation valve, and the equipment is located above the water line of the pool.

Help please...!

Here are some pics:
1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining

Richard320 said:
I think that's the filter draining. Try opening the air bleed on top with the pump off until it stops glugging. But watch for any DE heading out the skimmers, and stop it if you see that happening.

The air bleed was open and air had stopped coming out. Does it matter what the multiport valve is set to? How long should it typically take? I waited a couple minutes and it didn't slow down anymore.

Would it be bad to remove the top of the filter before it's finished draining? Maybe then I could see what's going on inside.

As I said, this is indoor equipment, so I would rather not have too much water draining down right outside the basement.

Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining

Richard320 said:
Mine takes a good ten minutes to stop gurgling. Remember, water's going through the filter by gravity feed, not under 15 or 20 psi.

Thanks, you were right! Took another 2 minutes or so and it's about done.

In case it ever does matter, I left the valve set to backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter p

I went ahead and ordered a complete set of new grids, some o-rings, lube, and a missing spacer from the manifold. Hope to have this all back up and running soon. Then I can finally add the CYA I have been waiting on and take a swim!

Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter p

Richard320 said:
Maybe a 6. Here's what a 10 looks like:

file.php

Ya know...I don't know much about pool stuff in general, let alone the specifics about a DE filter...but I DO know a brick factory when I see one. :shock:

Richard320 - you owe me a new laptop. This one has diet cola and snot all over the keyboard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.