How to tell FC levels with TC OTO test?

Jun 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I have the TF100 which is great when needing to shock and test for CC, but I can't imagine using the FAS/DPD test on a daily basis to make sure FC level are maintained. My question is, how can I tell my FC levels from the TC OTO test kit that comes with the TF100?

Yes, I could use it on a daily basis, but with the cost comparisant for refilling the R-0870 DPD Powder & R-0871 (1 oz) Reagent to R-0600 Reagent for OTO Chlorine Test (for TF-100) is around $13, which isn't much, but it would be nice to use the FAS/DPD when needed to make those precise and high measurements and the OTO for everyday use. Is there a way to tell the FC level from the TC OTO test, or is there a certain TC level to maintain much like the CYA to FC level?

The link I posted tells you how to perform the OTO test, and how to get a sense of CC:
This test measures TC, but if you watch closely it is possible to get a sense of the presence of CC. When you first add the drops of R-0600, the sample will immediately show the FC level. Then, over the next minute or so, it will drift up to the TC level. If you see the color changing, CC is present. Using the test in this way requires careful attention and a good ability to distinguish shades of yellow quickly.

Other than that, you might want a DPD test, another drop based test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.