What's "purple stuff"???

Jack's Magic Purple Stuff, a sequestrant designed for pools with a SWG. Sequestrants keep metals in the water from staining the pool surface. You don't need any unless you have metals in the water.

plumin said:
That's funny, I wonder what made the pool guy think I had metals in my pool water when he doesn't even know what FC is or how to test for it?

I couldn't help but notice your profile says your in SE Texas so that's probably why the pool guy thought you had metals in your water. Have you ever tested for metals? If you do have metals you might use one of the other Jacks products, like the pink one made for metal staining.

Our Austin location has a world of a time trying to fight staining, she swears it was the salt system causing it. Now that she's removed her SWG completely and it's still staining I wonder what she'll blame it on.

Subslug - no, I've never tested my water for metals but I bet my pool guy hasn't either.

I had posted on an earlier thread that we just began maintaining the pool ourselves.

Is there a metals test that I can do myself or will a pool store / water testing agency have to do this?

There is some type of white build up on the tiles around the pool but I haven't noticed any discoloration on the gunite.

I'm not aware of a test you could perform yourself but that's not to say one doesn't exist.

I've had a private lab, ANAlab do some testing for me. They can test for just about anything you can dream up that could be in water but we just do routine coliform testing as sort of an insurance against parasites.
We've never actually tested positive for any but it just gives us something to show to anyone concerned about swimming in our pools.

I had our Austin pool tested and sure enough, as suspected there's metals in the water. I'm sure you could probably find metal in any water, maybe the levels are just higher in some areas. Central and West Texas being some of the areas for sure.

there are test kits available for iron, copper, and manganese. Check the Taylor and LaMotte websites. There are also test strips available. Check the AquaChek website. The TF100 and Taylor K-1005 include a test for the metal calcium. Light I said before, the purple stuff is often recommened to help prevent scaling of the salt cell from calcium and also to help prevent scaling with new plaster since it will also sequester calcium to some extent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mac4lyfe said:
Waterbear - I just installed a SWG. Do you think its a good idea to use the purple stuff as preventative measure for the cell?
Personally, I don't recommend it unless there is new plaster, a known metal problem, or calcium levels are high. It really depends on your water balance numbers. If you have very high calcium then it's probably a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.