So many questions!

Jun 25, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
My wife and I have finally made the decsision to move forward on a pool build! We are in the North Fort Worth/Keller, TX area and have set up consultations with Puryear, Paul Miller, Pulliam, Klapprodt and Blue HAven. BAsed on what I've read about BH, I'll probably cancel the consult with them. Id love to have a Claffey pool, but I hear they are high and honestly we are on a tight budget. Do you guys have any other recommendations for builders?

As I mentioned before, I am on a tight budget and want to be creative in ways to reduce the cost of this thing, so far I've figured I can save by doing the following myself outside of the pool contract: landscaping, removing and replacing fence, reconfiguring the sprinkler system, and hand digging the runs for electrical and gas. I dont know how much I can save by doing this but I' dont mind doing it. Is there anything else i've missed where I can save?

Ive also thought about buying the pool equipment on my own through places like Amazon since Im assuming the PB mark up the cost of the equipment. I dont have any bids yet and dont know what the mark up of the equipment is, but I would think I can save atleast 20% or so. Is this even a valid idea?

We are looking for a play type pool with a tanning deck, a couple seats, and most importantly a rock type ledge/grotto/waterfall for the kids to jump off of. Does anyone have one of these grotto/ledges, if so can you share how much extra it was and share any pics. Also tossing around the idea of a hot tub but not sure I can justify an additional $10k.

Any tips are greatly appreciated...first consult is on Thursday!

We are also in the Keller area and just recently went through the same process and talked to Claffey, Cody and Watercrest.

All three were nice to deal with. It came down to a decision between Cody and Watercrest and in the end we picked Cody because they are a bigger builder i.e. more stable (they just became #1 according to Pool & Spa News: http://www.poolspanews.com/Images/Top50 ... 952830.pdf ) - they also happened to quote the best price.

If you look at the list you might find more names of reputable local builders.

Only thing I would suggest is to find a reputable company and not a one/two man show even if it means you have to drop some items from the wish list.

Good luck !

PS: If you want I can PM you the contact information for Cody and Watercrest.

Thanks for that list of top 50 builders...nice to see I selected a couple that are on there. Thanks alsofor the idea on subbing out decking, I didnt think about subbing out certain jobs.

Can anyone comment on the general cost of adding a small grotto with a rock ledge for the kids to jump off of?

jparadise81 said:
Thanks for that list of top 50 builders...nice to see I selected a couple that are on there. Thanks alsofor the idea on subbing out decking, I didnt think about subbing out certain jobs.

Can anyone comment on the general cost of adding a small grotto with a rock ledge for the kids to jump off of?
I can tell you that mine added $4,800 to the quote. This is for a 8t moss rock waterfall with cave. I also added a gunite slide which was another $5.5k.

I'm in Houston.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.