adding a second pump to a larger Intec Pool

Jun 25, 2013
Installing a second pump on a larger Intec pool 52" * 24' I installed a second pump by installing PVC piping over the top with a check valve on the pool inlet side. Then added 3 solar headers on the outlet side. I also added a splitter and a shut off valve on the return lines so that I could control the volume of water going through the solar units. The return lines (2) also were installed over the side of the pool. one was PVC for the return water and the second a smaller flex line for returning heated water to the pool. I attached all pipes and lines to the pool supports with heavy duty zip lines. The pump is a smaller filter pump. This way no holes were made to the liner, the solar units raises the water temp entering the pool 5-8 degrees on sunny days. As an additional bonus we now have two filter pumps running which helps maintain the pool nicely. I also switched from chorine to Bio-Guard as this reduces the algae in the pool caused by the lower pumping and cleaning power of Intec filter pumps.

I have had a 48" * 24' pool in operation for over 10 years. I have used soft swim from BioGuard all of this time. My original liner is still in use as is all the connection hoses and more. I did replace the pump a year ago due to wear. Soft Swim does not use chorine and that means no stinging eye, swim suits last longer and algae and bacteria are both well controlled. While the cost of a bottle of Soft Swim A, B or C is higher, it takes far less chemicals during a summer. So the cost of either system are comparable.

I also have been helping a friend with a 52" * 24' pool who used chorine for the first two years of operations. Algae was a constant concern as was the cost to replace fittings damaged by the chemicals. This year I switched her to Soft Swim, clear water since and no algae so far. Also, I will add that I enjoy the fact that we share our pool water with a few frogs. Gives me a feeling that the water is safe for my family.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.