Chlorine level too high?

May 31, 2008
After 1 1/2 weeks of using bleach to get rid of algae, our pool is just a little cloudy. I don't have a very good test kit yet and can't get a good reading of the chlorine level. When I add the oto drops, it turns dark orange, almost red. That means there is too much chlorine, right?

It's been 2 days since I've added shock(ran out of bleach) to the pool, but the chlorine test water keeps turning orange!

Why isn't the chlorine coming down? The water smells like bleach.

Welcome to the forum! Lot's of folks here willing to help :lol:

Clearing an algae-laden pool with an OTO test kit is mostly guesswork. My guess is that you have excess combined chloramines in your water but that's impossible to tell without an FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Assuming that to be the case, the answer is.......MORE chlorine. Hard to believe but true.

Get your water tested at the pool store where they can do a CC's test or, better yet, get a good test kit so you don't have to trudge to the pool store each time you really want to know what's going on in your pool.

Probably the three best kits are the TF-100 in my sig, the Taylor K-2006, and Leslie FAS/DPD test.

I have an Aqua Chem 6 way professional test kit that I bought last year. I guess it doesn't have what I need to test the combined chloramines?

I'm so frustrated. We've had the pool a couple of years and this is the first time we've had problems. The water was pretty clear until the kids and I took the cover off. Everything that was on the winter cover poured into the pool. :(

If your kit is acceptable in the other areas, you can buy just the FAS/DPD test from any of the sources Duraliegh mentioned.
Last year I purchased just the FAs/DPD from Dave to make my Taylor 2005 functionally equivalent to the TF 100 kit. I, personally, will only buy test kits or the reagents from Dave, I know that they will be fresh (the reagents do expire) and that the delivery will be quick - he also offers a discount for paid TFP supporters. I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but I bought a test kit a few years ago that had 'stale' reagents and it totally defeated the point of testing the water :!:

It would be a huge help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can buy one from TF Test Kits and a couple of other vendors. That will allow you to reliably measure high levels of FC and CC. Without it all you can do is just keep dumping in more bleach and pray you don't add too much or too little.

I ordered my T-100 test kit on Wednesday (06/04).. got it today via DHL.. I also am not a salesman for the company.. but this is a very nice kit. I have had others that were pretty good too. The T-100 is very nicely packaged,, nice container for storage. Some might not want to spend the $$ (I think it's about $70).. but it is a worthwhile investment.

Happy to report.. been on BBB since 2003.. only a few problems and they were pretty much my fault for not keeping aclose watch. "InTheWoods".. once you get your kit.. complete test.. and become really a "believer" in BLEACH, BORAX and BAKING SODA (it took me a while too.. and I am still sometimes amazed).. you pool will be fun and easy.. REALLY! You will get to know how your poolacts and reacts.. They all have personalities.. thinking about naming mine.

Two weeks ago.. pool was green.. couldnt see the bottom.. but I knew it wasn't really a big deal.
Today my first testing was near perfect.

FC - 8 (coming down from opening shock)
CC- 0
TC - 8
PH - 7.5
ALK - 110
CYA - 40

My wife is out there floating around right now.. it's like 93 here in East Tennessee. She's happy.. I'm Happy..
Except now I am off to search the forum for suggestions on a good automatic pool vacumn,.. one that really works. If such an animal exists. If you have any suggestions... send me a message.

Hey Chuck. We're in Middle TN. It was 93 here today also!

We went swimming today. I made good use of the time, by scrubbing the sides and ladder. The pool is cloudy and our swimsuits had a strong chlorine odor. Should I add more chlorine or add nothing until my test kit comes? We have a very warm weekend ahead. I would hate to tell the kids no swimming!

Our pool is a 27' above ground, 4' deep.

in the woods.. I am not the best person to give advice.. there are experts here way more qualified than I..

If it were me.. and I am not responsible for anyone else.. I would probably swim.. just rinse off good when you get out. I have been in my pool with Chlorine over 10ppm.. and i am still alive.. but you need to do what is best for your kids.

In the perfect world.. I would get my test kit.. see where you are.. then come here for suggestions. My experience has been.. when something is wrong with the water,,.. cloudy, greenish.. or whatever.. if i do it right.. up the level of chlorine to shock.. and KEEP IT THERE for at least 2.5 to 3 days.. testing every few hours.. the water ends up perfect. If this process fails.. it's usually because you haven't really kept the level up continuosly.

Good luck.. and put those test results here... the experts will be able to help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.