Speakers for travertine paver pool deck?

Jun 14, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi, I have been reading on the forum for several months now - prior to and now as we are under construction on gunite pool in Austin, Texas. Due to being on steep lot, much of the pool is elevated above ground (all coping is between 1 to 4 feet above ground) and deck is level with pool - so no flower beds to put speakers in. Also, our deck is travertine pavers, set over a concrete base.

I have a Sonos system to power 2 pairs of speakers around the pool and we are running conduit for wire under the deck to each speaker location. However, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out type of speakers and how to 'stub out' the termination of the conduit.

There are two 'sitting areas' in the deck plan and one pair of speakers will go to each area. One will have rock privacy wall on two sides and the other has a 4' iron fence, basically in a semicircle around area. I prefer a 'clean' look and would love the look of the Bose round in ground domes, but the omni-directional speakers are a non-starter.

My current 'best' idea is rock speakers on deck, the small Niles are fairly low profile and have good reviews. (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RS5PCW/ ... tml?tp=188)

Option two is to get small wall mount speakers and to put on the wall in area one and on rail in area two, but I think my wall will be solid, so I would have vertical runs of wire from deck to speaker in all four locations. Also not sure how sturdy speakers would be on rails. Here are some Niles I have considered for this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190OS53W/N ... tml?tp=188

For either option, I have no idea on how to stub out the termination in the deck and PB doesn't really have a suggestion, although he did say there is now a 4" pour-a-lid available, so I was thinking that with a hole drilled through might work. Particularly if I go with option one (rock speakers) I need some way to conceal and protect wire/connections.

I have not found any good pictures or descriptions of either setup, so I would love to hear suggestions or experiences with similar setups! Thanks!

ps: I have my TFT-100 kit and Stenner Pump/15 gal tank ready to go! :-D

Telnet64 said:
Hi, I have been reading on the forum for several months now - prior to and now as we are under construction on gunite pool in Austin, Texas. Due to being on steep lot, much of the pool is elevated above ground (all coping is between 1 to 4 feet above ground) and deck is level with pool - so no flower beds to put speakers in. Also, our deck is travertine pavers, set over a concrete base.

I have a Sonos system to power 2 pairs of speakers around the pool and we are running conduit for wire under the deck to each speaker location. However, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out type of speakers and how to 'stub out' the termination of the conduit.

There are two 'sitting areas' in the deck plan and one pair of speakers will go to each area. One will have rock privacy wall on two sides and the other has a 4' iron fence, basically in a semicircle around area. I prefer a 'clean' look and would love the look of the Bose round in ground domes, but the omni-directional speakers are a non-starter.

My current 'best' idea is rock speakers on deck, the small Niles are fairly low profile and have good reviews. (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RS5PCW/ ... tml?tp=188)

Option two is to get small wall mount speakers and to put on the wall in area one and on rail in area two, but I think my wall will be solid, so I would have vertical runs of wire from deck to speaker in all four locations. Also not sure how sturdy speakers would be on rails. Here are some Niles I have considered for this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190OS53W/N ... tml?tp=188

For either option, I have no idea on how to stub out the termination in the deck and PB doesn't really have a suggestion, although he did say there is now a 4" pour-a-lid available, so I was thinking that with a hole drilled through might work. Particularly if I go with option one (rock speakers) I need some way to conceal and protect wire/connections.

I have not found any good pictures or descriptions of either setup, so I would love to hear suggestions or experiences with similar setups! Thanks!

ps: I have my TFT-100 kit and Stenner Pump/15 gal tank ready to go! :-D

Some pics would be helpful. If you're using outdoor rated direct burial cable there's no reason it needs to be in conduit other than for protection or through a chase.

Omni speakers are inefficient, IMO you can do better. If you go with rock speakers you'll make the connection to the pigtail cable on the rock with silicone filled wire nuts.

I have some pics of a recent install which may give you other ideas.

But like I said, a few pics would be helpful.

Thanks for the comments. I don't have pics as those areas aren't even formed yet (maybe this week, or definitely early next week). I'm using direct burial rated cables, but the wire will be under deck, so need conduit in case ever need to replace. I have seen the silicone filled connectors for outdoor use and plan on using them.

With rock speakers in flower bed it's easy to conceal connectors and excess cable under them. Not so easy with travertine pavers, hence the idea for the 4" pour-a-lid.

What are the joints between pavers going to be like?

Could you have a paver that lifts out exposing a "trap door" at speaker location. You could drill holes through the pavers for wires and to lift it out of its spot.

Yes, that's what my PB does. In my OP, I mentioned my current plan is rock speakers using these 4" lids with a hole drilled through for wires. Just making sure no better ideas available. It's amazing that I haven't been able to find anything even suggesting this after searching web and forums exhaustively.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I was specifically interested in the OP's plan to run wire up/through his tile. Sonos and other products are, IMO, vastly superior to Bluetooth, not to mention the wide variety of options with outdoor speakers.
I'm not arguing about hardwire should be better than Bluetooth but I got a couple of UE Booms and they're not too shabby
http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-ue-boom/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.