New to Pool Care

Jun 25, 2013
I am new to pool care this year and I have a 10' X 30" intex metal frame pool, about 1200 gallons. I've had it up and running for about a week now and had some questions about my FC and Ph levels.

I've been testing the water everyday and my FC levels have been between 1.5-2.0 for the past 3 days and PH between 7.0-7.2. According to the poolcalculator.com I've added their recommendation worth of borax to get my Ph levels higher, but it doesn't seem to help. Last night was the 3rd night in a row I added borax to try to raise the Ph and it didn't see to have any affect from the previous two days I added it. Per the calculator I added 2.0 oz worth the past two days in front of the return on my filter trying to raise my Ph, any suggestions on what to do?

Does my FC level seem right or should that be raised as well? It stays consistent since I have 1-inch chlorine tablets floating in the pool all the time when not swimming.

I only run the filter about 1-3 hours daily, for that small of a pool I didn't think it needs to be run more than that but maybe it does?

Thanks for the help!

AFEddy05,

The pool calculator suggests that your 10' diameter X 30" deep pool holds 1500 gallons.

To raise your pH, according to the Calculator, you should have put in around 10 oz of Borax. That's why you're seeing such small changes, so very gradually.

The biggest issue is the Chlorine level, which must not go below 3.

Also, bear in mind that the tablets you are using often have additives that can make maintaining the pool very difficult. That's why plain old chlorine bleach is simpler, safer to use and much less expensive!

Have you read Pool School yet? There's a lot of info there (White button at top right). It takes several readings to assimilate, and it will teach you how to be in control of your pool, with safe, clean, sparkling water at the lowest price and minimal work.

I have read through the pool school. Are you saying that I shouldn't use the chlorine tablets? The best way for me to raise my chlorine to above 3.0 is with the use of bleach as directed by the pool calculator?

I did have another question about shocking the pool that I don't believe the pool school discussed, unless I missed it. When is the best time to shock the pool with bleach and how to do you know when to do it and how much to use?

Thanks!

I am new as well :)

Using the pool calculator you can go the bottom and put your information in (goals) and your " now" numbers with the gallons of your pool.

In the goal column you will need to put the shock level number and it will tell you how much bleach to add. Be sure to select which percentage of bleach you are using!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it looks like I need to concentrate on raising my chlorine level to at least 3 and my Ph up by adding the correct amount of Borax. What do you suggest for filter run time each day? Does this affect, one way or the other, FC and PH levels?

Use http://poolcalculator.com to help you calculate how much chemical you need. Be sure near the bottom to select troublefreepool.com as your source, vinyl pool, and bleach as primary source of chlorine. It will then populate your targets for you. Don't forget your FC level depends on your CYA level.

Filter run time is one of those YMMV things (your mileage may vary). It depends on pump size, filter size, bather load, weather, etc. Start with a time and see if your pool stays clear. If no, run it longer. If yes, try lowering the time until you see it is not staying clear, then take it back up.

Should I remove the chlorine tablets that float in my pool all day and just maintain the chlorine level with the bleach that is added as needed? Will the bleach have any affect on eyes or swimsuits in comparison with using chlorine?

Thanks again!

afeddy05 said:
Should I remove the chlorine tablets that float in my pool all day and just maintain the chlorine level with the bleach that is added as needed? Will the bleach have any affect on eyes or swimsuits in comparison with using chlorine?

Thanks again!

If you're adding bleach as needed (in other words - daily) you won't need to use tablets. You can't really compare bleach and chlorine as it's the same thing. Probably why it's called chlorine bleach...LOL

I am a new pool owner this year and haven't seen ANY negative effects of using bleach on a daily basis. I don't even own any chlorine tabs and don't plan on purchasing any unless I go on vacation. You won't need the tabs if you are keeping an eye on your chlorine level regularly.

By the way, don't think I'm a pro at this by any means. Everything I have learned about proper pool care has come from this site. This forum, pool school, a quality test kit and a good pool calculator (I use one on my phone just for convenience sake) is all you will need!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I still seem to be having a hard time keeping my Ph levels up. I've been trying to add the correct amount of borax per the pool calculator and I feel like I am adding a ton each day and it never seems to get above 7.2. Would the Ph levels be affected by not having my pool covered?

Will adding a ton of borax each day have any negative affect on swimmers, children in the pool everyday? (I am a little cautious/concerned about having to add so much everyday)

I just checked this morning and chlorine was at 3.0 and Ph was at 7.2.

I still seem to be having a hard time keeping my Ph levels up.
First, pH of 7.2 is fine....a bit low but certainly within the acceptable range. The addition of Borax will only be a benefit to your pool.....no harmful side effects at all.

Have you removed the pucks? They are likely the source of your low pH, so if they are gone, your pH will likely start to slowly rise naturally.

Long story short, I would leave pH alone at 7.2 and monitor.

I'm still not able to keep my chlorine in PH levels up. I've kept the tablets out now for 3 days. Would it help to cover my pool when not being used? We have had a lot of rains the past couple of days so maybe that is causing it to drop daily

Another question. I went out of town for about 24-28 hours so I put the floating chlorine tablets in the pool in their dispenser. I came home and there was a brown ring around the bottom all around the outside, any idea what this is? I decided to test the water and chlorine levels were thru the roof, higher than 5.0, thats as high as my test kit goes. PH was still at 7.2.

What could be causing the out of wack reading on the chlorine levels, just the tablet? What is the best way to lower this? Also what is the brown "stuff" in the pool and how do I get rid of it?

afeddy05 said:
Another question. I went out of town for about 24-28 hours so I put the floating chlorine tablets in the pool in their dispenser. I came home and there was a brown ring around the bottom all around the outside, any idea what this is? I decided to test the water and chlorine levels were thru the roof, higher than 5.0, thats as high as my test kit goes. PH was still at 7.2.

What could be causing the out of wack reading on the chlorine levels, just the tablet? What is the best way to lower this? Also what is the brown "stuff" in the pool and how do I get rid of it?
Time and sunlight will lower the FC. It might not be too high, anyway, without knowing the CYA level, which the pucks add to.

The brown stuff - is it like a greasy ring around the pool? If so, the tablets caused it. A Magic Eraser, from the grocery store cleaning aisle, will get rid of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.