A quick request

vsat88

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2013
Phenix City, AL.
My pool is a vinyl liner in ground total calculated 31,590 Gal. (rounding to 32,000) with a sand filter running 24/7 (Hayward pro series model S220T) and a 1 HP. pump motor. I am using a Taylor K 2006 test kit. After reading all of Pool School and multiple post I wanted to ask your suggestions. My ordeal started on 6/13/2013. My FC level was 0 My PH. was above 8.0 my TA. was 140 My CH was 8.0 My CYA was 30 35 range.
Now I see that after 7 days of doing (as best I could) what was instructed here all looks pretty well except for some continued cloudy water. I found that I way backwashing way too often and have corrected that. My current readings are....................

FC. 2.6 (I know that needs to come up)

CC. 0.2 if that probably a bit lower

PH. 7.4

TA. Around 75 (On the kit it shows somewhere between 70 and 80)

CH. shows 0 (best I could determine)

CYA. is closer to 30 than 40 (best I could determine)

So, I guess I would please ask what I should do if anything at this point. thank you for your continued efforts ! With best regards, vsat88.

Sounds like you need to complete a shock process. To be sure, get your chlorine up to target as per the Chlorine/CYA chart. Check out pool school for doing an over night free chlorine loss test (OCLT) and go from there. If needed the shock process is also in Pool School. I question the CH reading and would suggest a re-test to eliminate test error possiblities.

Welcome to TFP! Hang in there and we will help you out.

Brushpup said:
Sounds like you need to complete a shock process. I question the CH reading and would suggest a re-test to eliminate test error possiblities.

Welcome to TFP! Hang in there and we will help you out.

CH. is 20 My bad ! Thanks, and I will hang in and do as I am told. I believe in you Cats !
With best regards, vsat88.

I added more info to my post before you posted. Sorry about that, but check out what I said above and lets see what happens. Please put your pool info in your sig and it will help us help you quicker.

Bring it up to shock level before sundown, test after sundown and do the OCLT. I don't know if you "let it fall" too soon for sure without knowing your over night loss. You may need more shock time, but lets see...

OCLT is at 0.5 Max. Last two nights in a row. I test at or just before sundown then early AM next day. That is why I allowed the levels to drop. I thought that I read that was when to do so at 0.5 to 0 loss . My bad. I will bring it up before dark tonight as you suggest. Better safe than really sorry as I have really put a lot of effort in this and I respect highly your suggestions. Added my pool info to my sig..I hope. With best regards, vsat88. and BTW I am just guessing but you do mean overnight chlorine loss test by OCLT. Right ?

vsat88 said:
OCLT is at 0.5 Max. Last two nights in a row. I test at or just before sundown then early AM next day. That is why I allowed the levels to drop. I thought that I read that was when to do so at 0.5 to 0 loss . My bad. I will bring it up before dark tonight as you suggest. Better safe than really sorry as I have really put a lot of effort in this and I respect highly your suggestions. Added my pool info to my sig..I hope. With best regards, vsat88. and BTW I am just guessing but you do mean overnight chlorine loss test by OCLT. Right ?

There are 3 criteria ... CC of .5 or less, OCLT with a loss of less than 1 ppm AND clear water.

So you still need to follow the shock process until you meet all 3 :cool:

ship of fools said:
vsat88 said:

There are 3 criteria ... CC of .5 or less, OCLT with a loss of less than 1 ppm AND clear water.

So you still need to follow the shock process until you meet all 3 :cool:

:goodjob:

He is right, and You might be just on the verge of being done. Sometimes clearing just takes a little time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you passed the first 2 criteria, have you considered adding DE to your sand filter to help speed up the process? There is an article in pool school about it. Also, for chlorine testing, you can use a 10 mL sample instead of a 25 mL sample.

JohnN said:
Since you passed the first 2 criteria, have you considered adding DE to your sand filter to help speed up the process? There is an article in pool school about it. Also, for chlorine testing, you can use a 10 mL sample instead of a 25 mL sample.

Thanks and I have thought of that however I am a NooB so I thought I might ought keep it as simple as possible. H.D. has DE so I may trip down today if things do not improve. I have been using the 10 ml sample and even though I have I am starting to get very low on regent so I will have to get a bottle today at the "fool store". Thank you ! With best regard, vsat88.

After Shock last night FC=24.5 CC.=0.5 (at 10:30 PM)

AM today. FC = 21.0 CC.=0.5 (at 6:30 AM)

BTW..We did have some rain last nite, not a lot but some...

Please advise .... Thanks all !

JohN thanks for the warning, I called before I went and found it ! And went to H.D. and bought 25 lbs. D.E. and followed the directions I found here as well. The pool is really beginning to clear even before the D.E. was added due to the suggestions from Brushpup ! I will continue to update and follow suggestions ! Thanks again. With best regards, vsat88.

Brushpup said:
Just a little while longer I bet. :whoot:

You were right! Halljuigh! Lol losss less than 1ppm FC. Last night. Pool so clear you can see a quarter at the bottom of the deep end. And CC. 0.0 ... All I can say is thanks so much. I actually did pray last night and turn it over to my H.P. because I did not know how much longer I could hang in. So tbanks again and best regards to all here! I will post back as soon as possible with further results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.