First year having a pool

Jun 25, 2013
Georgetown, KY
I need help bad.... This is my first year owning a pool and I am so lost... I have a 15FT Metal frame Intex pool with the skimmer attached to the side. I have had it up for about a week and the water has stayed clean til now. I went out this morning to turn the pump on and saw a brown like dust all on the bottom. The ph level is good but the chlorine level isn't even showing up, But I do keep 2 1 inch tabs in the filter and they do dissolve. I clean the filter daily and this morning I noticed the brown dusting all over the filter itself. Now here is probably my biggest problem.. I do not cover the pool at night or when it rains, Is that what I am doing wrong or is there a miracle chemical I can add to it? Like I said before I am so lost and do not want to have to drain it cause it is a 4000 gallon pool... Please help!!!!

Welcome to tfp, Melinda1980 :wave:

The brown stuff is almost certainly algae due to not having enough chlorine in the pool. If you get a sample of it, is it slimy? If it is then it is definitely algae.

In addition to chlorine, those tabs contain cyanuric acid (cya). As you use more and more of them, then your pool will require higher and higher levels of chlorine. Using tabs exclusively means eventually a drain refill is required. See this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

You next steps depend on what you want to do.

I would guess draining and refilling will be quickest. Then follow this method to get started again: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide so that you don't have to continue to drain/refill in the future.

If you do not want to drain/refill then we need to know the cyanuric acid level (cya level) so that you know what level Free chlorine (FC) you need to maintain to kill the algae. These require a more extensive test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Most likely you are missing two miracle chemicals, chlorine and CYA. You need to add enough CYA (also known as stabilizer or conditioner) to reach 30ppm for your pool. The CYA will protect the chlorine from the sun long enough for it to do its job. You can use the Pool calculator to determine how much you need to add for your pool.

I also recommend you purchase a test kit for your pool. Either a TF 50 or an HtH 6 way kit (usually found at Walmart or ACE hardware). You will need current test results to use the pool calculator.

We do not recommend putting chlorine tablets through the filter. It will shorten the life of the cartridge, and you have to keep the pump running to prevent damage. If you want to use the tablets use a floating dispenser instead. Keep in mind that trichlor tablets will add CYA to the water and cal-hypo tablets will add calcium. We recommend liquid chlorine either from the pool store or plain unscented household bleach, poured in front of the return while the pump is running.

Read through temporary pool guide the guide for temporary pools [/url] for information on caring for small pools. Keep in mind bleach strength has recently changed from 6% to 8.25%.

Test your water and post the results here and we will help you determine what to do next.

ok the only tester I have is the one that you buy at WalMart called (Aqua Chem) It only tests the CL and PH... My PH is in the 7.6 (ideal) range and the CL is not even showing... I do not want to have to drain it, as it is a 4000 gallon pool :-( Can I just vacuum and put a ton of bleach in there? lol

Well if you don't want to drain it (draining likely will not cost much...what is your water source? i.e. well, municipal), then you need to know the cya level. Zea mentioned two kits that can do this:
zea3 said:
Either a TF 50 or an HtH 6 way kit (usually found at Walmart or ACE hardware).
The HTH 6-way drop based kit will be cheaper and likely available locally, but won't test for FC (free chlorine). Without the FC test, it is still possible to clear the pool, but may take longer and use more bleach. See this link for the shocking process that will get rid of the algae in your pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so when I felt of it, it was gritty feeling but the vacuum is not getting it up which it could be just the vacuum itself cause it is the one that came with the pool and has to use the water hose on it.... So I am gonna use a brush and see what it is like after that...

Melinda1980 said:
Should I just dump 2 gallons of bleach in it and see what happens?
Charlie_R said:
1 gallon of plain 6% bleach will raise your FC by 3.7, so yes 2 gallons would be ok.
:!: No, 2 gallons of 6% bleach will raise a 4600 gallon pool 28 ppm FC, and 2 gallons of the now more commonly available 8.25% bleach will raise the pool 37 ppm FC either which is way too much without us knowing your cya level. :!:

Melinda1980 said:
ok so the test that was ran at the pool store told me the same thing as to when I ran the test...... I thought they were reliable??
Pool stores tend to be unreliable. Did they measure your cya level?

Ok so I used the pool pool calculator last night, added the 33 oz of bleach like it said, kept my pump on all night and this morning my water is clear, no brown stuff on bottom and the CL and PH are at ideal level. :) I am one happy swimmer lol... Thank you all so much for your help :)

I would keep FC up for a few more days to help ensure you have gotten rid of the algae. Whenever you get a readable value on your OTO chlorine tester (it only reads up to 5 ppm, after that it just gets darker yellow until it changes to orange) then dose back up to about 11 ppm, that takes bout 42 ounces of the 8.25% bleach (which raises your 4600 gallon pool about 6 ppm FC...I am guessing at a 20 ppm cya level).

I would still recommend buying the HTH 6-way drop based tester locally so that you can check your cya level. Since you have been using pucks (do you know how many?), you may have quite a bit in the pool and my above guess at the cya level may be quite off.

If you continue to have problems, you may still want to do the drain/refill and then keep track of how many pucks you use to start up and stop using them when your cya gets to 30-50 ppm and switch to using bleach to chlorinate daily.

So in the beginning of my wonderful first time as a pool owner I was like :brickwall: Because the pool store really didn't want to help unless I was going to buy their EXPENSIVE chemicals. Alright since my last post, I have read through the pool school and wondered about the BBB method, and it has been about a week since I first tried it and let me tell you I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! I can now float in my pool with my beer :cheers: without stressing over if the water is gonna turn again (I am a HAPPY swimmer now) :-D I have however went back to the pool store to look at pool toys and decorations and was so happy to tell them (when they asked if I needed help with chemicals they sale) No thanks, I only use TFP advice :whoot: Thank you so much, You all GREAT :party:

Attachments

• summerfuninthepoolo.jpg
    summerfuninthepoolo.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.