LED Niche light transformer- Hayward or Intermatic?

Jul 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Hi All:

I'm replacing my 120v niche light with a Hayward Crystalogic LED unit. The model I'm getting is the 500w equivalent and requites 110 watts.
This disqualifies the JBox conversions as they don't have high enough output.
This leaves me with using a wall style transformer. I plan on getting a 300 watt model as I can add my spa light afterwards and use the same transformer to drive the second LED.
In my search I found the Intermatic PX300 and the Hayward LTBUY11300. I was ready to pull the trigger on the PX300 as it's advertised for Pool & Spa applications. However, I happened to catch a glimpse of the label and it states: "May use in NO niche Lighting fixtures". After a call to their tech I was told that it's likely because the unit is not yet approved for LED bulbs. One must admit the wording is a bit odd.

In any case, I'm curious if anyone is using the Intermatic. Otherwise feel free to enlighten me on alternatives.

The PX300 is fine. It is listed as suitable for underwater light fixtures. The sentence you are having a problem with simply means that it is acceptable to use with "No Niche" fixtures, ie fixtures that are installed in a pipe rather than in a niche.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.