stains on a gunnite pool surface.

Pool_Fool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 24, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
I am helping a buddy of mine open his 8000 gallon pool. We are noticing some extensive staining on the bottom and walls of the pool. Please see the attached picture. The pool is suppose to have the blue look to it and not the reddish dirty look.
Any thoughts or suggestions on removing.

Salt 2900
Ph 7.2
Alk - 60
Cal - not tested yet
Cya - 40
Fc - 20(just shocked again)

Tia,
PF

Attachments

• 20130621_091219.jpg
    20130621_091219.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 88
You need to identify whether the stain is organic or metal and then we can offer the path forward.

Organic: A trichlor puck will lighten the stain in a few minutes
Metallic: Crushed up Vitamin C will lighten the stain in a few minutes

Have not run the stain test yet....but the pool is ripping through the free chlorine.
Went through 20ppm in two days.

Pool clarity is at 90% but I wonder if there is a chance the "stain" is active algae,
Or if there are little pockets of algae hiding

...thoughts

The pool has undergone the shocking and brushing process since last post.
It is still burning through the Free Chlorine, I last shocked and brushed it this am.

I did perform the stain test with the 3" puck, it sat on the pool bottom for 5+ minutes there was no reaction.
I have not yet tried the Vitamin C test, but wouldn't the lack of a result from the first test have us lean towards it being a Metal Stain
at this point?

Thanks again for all the help.
PF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.