New to the forum and pool ownership!!

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
Hey everyone, i've been lurking around and have finally made the purchase of a pool!

Great site by the way!!

So i live just north of Titletown (Green Bay, WI) and bought a Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" unit. I've always wanted a pool for my family, but I couldn't convince my wife it was worth the trouble. So this is my way of easing her into it ;)

So last night i rented a sod cutter, removed a 20' diameter and started leveling it. I need to pick up a compacter to get the dirt nice and tight. I'm hoping to finish leveling it this week as time and weather permits.

What size paver's do you reccomend for under the legs?
What's the general consensus as to prep under the pool....pure sand and a tarp or foam and tarp or a different combo?

Thanks and look forward to hanging around here!

12x8 pavers would work.

Sand has a way of shifting, even under a pool. Extruded polystyrene would probably be your best.

Before you start filling your pool, read Pool School several times, and DO order a good test kit. TF-100 or K-2006. Links in Pool School.

Well it looks like i've failed already. I didn't even see that Pool School link. Based on my reading so far, looks like the test kit i got at Wally World is junk. I just bought the $8 HTH (3 way i think) tester. Looks like i need to order the TFT kit.

The test kit from Wally's simply doesn't provide you the information you require to keep your pool in good shape. It isn't junk. it's just kinda useless.

Very good that you're ordering the right kit now. You will not have the difficulties experienced by many others.

Keep reading pool school, and ask questions when you need to. The members and administrators are very helpful here.

Here is where i got to last night.

Pool_zps14466fc1.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, ordered the TF100! I feel so professional now :)

So regarding the SWC....is that something i should decide on before the pool is up and started or can i simply convert to that at a later date if i choose to do so without a headache?

Back to my original posting...is the majority with doing the foam sheets under the pool or just a little sand for comfort and the tarp?

Go Pack! Welcome fellow Cheese Head! I purchased pavers at local building store (Not HD) and I got the ones that are longer than wide. I believe they are 8x12?? You want to position the legs at the front of the pavers so if the legs "walk" they won't end up coming off of the paver. Just remember to level your pavers with the level ground. If you don't the legs will sit higher and your liner will be stretching, which could result in unevenness. Site looks good! And yes you can add the SWG later....listen to the posters here and read the Pool School. Your test kit will become your best friend. Get your levels up and then if you decide to buy the SWG just add it later and set the timer. Good luck! No fencing requirements in Title Town?

@ Dtmos01, fortunately i don't live within the city limits of the Holy Land (Lambeau Field) :) About the only concern they have out by me is that you don't hit a cow!

I assume as the pool fills the legs move inward?

I must admit that after reading this site, this site is adding stress to this project and taking more $$ out of my pocket. I have 2 co-workers with the same pool and they just through up the pool on the grass without any site prep and have been running flawlessly for 1-2 years. I had full intentions on doing the same but then i found this site which led to removing the sod. Now i'm debating $100 worth of foam, $20 or so in pavers, and just bought a $70 chemical test kit not to mention all the chemicals ill need. I knew pools weren't cheap and this is a far cry from a permanent AG system but still more than i anticipated as a "quick" project.

Ok, ill stop complaining now :)

I suppose the simple response is that many TFP members want to do everything right and to the letter, the first time, so all outcomes are expected and understood, safe and measurable. That's where the suggestions come from.
For many, reaching success is a worthwhile journey, while some prefer simple progress over perfection.
There is no judgment here, only support.
We want you to be happy with your entire pool experience, from building it to maintaining it.

Well I thought the same thing "my simple refill" turned into a 3 week project!

Let me tell you why... Common sense. Everything they said, did or recommended to me made absolute sense and I had an AHA! Moment.

I have never been happier with our pool and It is beautiful now to me. Your friends/neighbors might have went the easy route but they will for it at some point. I did :)

You will be extremely happy with the proper setup and finding ways to landscape around it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought the same thing but after it will be worth it doing it the correct way. Even after all those hours spent in my back yard with a shovel till dark;constantly leveling;breaking a shovel and having it snap back at my knee;sore muscles; its all worth it when my family is swimming and having a good time outside. I say do it right and you will enjoy it much more knowing its safe

As far as chemicals go you won't spend much. You only need cya and bleach to start. After that it depends on your ph. If you stay out of the pool store you won't spend a fortune on chemicals. Also, if you have well water you might need a sequestrant to keep the iron or copper from staining your liner. I had to add some organic De filter media to my sand filter to get the iron out of my pool, but it wasn't that expensive and you don't need much.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Agreed... When I first got my pool last year (clueless) and went to the pool store for everything. I spent twice and much on things I didn't need or use!

My expense this year was 10 gallons of liquid chlorine ($30) and a 4lb thing of stabilizer (only size they had) for about $12. That is all I have and it stocked nicely on a shelf in my shed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.