Pulling from skimmer vs bottom drain

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I just took over care of a pool with the house we bought. The prior owner told me the pump doesn't have enough suction to run both the bottom drain and skimmer at the same time (there's a valve position for both... I think). She left it on skimmer unless leaving the house for a while or during a storm, in which case the bottom drain was selected to not worry about clogging the skimmer basket.

On day 1 of having the house, I tried it on "both" and the next day the pool was a cloudy, algae mess. I think it was just bad timing because the chlorine was zero. I shocked it back to life and now it's nice and clear. I'm just confused on what I should be pulling from for the filter.

There's a good chance you had stagnant water in the drain line.

I just played with my diverter so I have some flow through the main drain - not much; there's just the slightest visible reduction of turbulence in the skimmer. That's enough to keep the water circulating down deep, so there isn't that temperature stratification you find in some pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.