Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can (new) water sit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long can (new) water sit?

I figure this is the correct place to post since my water is sitting still right now with no circulation. Luckily it is a cloudy day, but that will change tomorrow along with the heat for the weekend.

So, we got 12k gallons deliver this am to set the liner. The water company had to go back and get 2 more loads. So when they left so did the pool builder's plumber. I asked him if he would be back today to get the equipment working. His reply was "I might, but it is ok for the water to sit" I told him I wanted to start balancing the water so we can swim this weekend. Again, his reply "the water is balanced"......HUH????

I know the water came from a well, but you think it is balanced?? He works with pools, come on now!!

I have not tested the water yet. I will be doing that shortly.

Our entire project has been piece meal and I will never recommend this builder to anyone. The funny thing is, I know plenty of people who have used him and they had a great experience. Not us and another friend of mine currently installing either.

I really just want him out of our lives and our yard.

So is it truly OK for the water to sit a night?? I have a call into our pb now to get his ***** back here.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    It won't get you too far behind to let it sit overnight. Go ahead and test it for pH and TA. If it was me, I'd add some bleach and circulate with a paddle or bucket.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    How soon after I add "chemicals", which I plan on using BBB, other than liquid bleach to start and liquid CYA, can my family safely go swimming ?
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4
    It depends on the chemical, some don't require any wait, some half an hour, only occasionally more. I would give chlorine. borax, calcium and acid half an hour. Baking soda, salt, and CYA no wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Just tested PH and TA, the #'s are 7.2 and 100 respectively.

Comments on what I should test for next or add to the pool once my water is circulating tomorrow?

FYI - I did not add any bleach tonight. Had nothing to stir the water with, except my hand.

Thx.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    The bleach will disperse very easily. You can get a jug or so in the pool and go swimming....that'll distribute it best.

The bleach is the sanitizer that's probably the most important additive in your pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    I would have loved to have gone swimming, but the water guy told me the water he was pumping was about 55 degrees. I am hoping the pb comes again first thing in the morning to get things running and I will add the bleach ASAP.

I will read over my BBB notes again tonight now that it is the real thing.