Decks....built over or under the top rail.....?

May 17, 2013
Hudsonville, MI
Hey everyone,

I just built my AGP and I am getting ready to start on phase 1 of the deck. My wife and I are debating back and forth if the deck should over hang the top rail of the pool or go underneath it. I am curious to hear what others have done, and why you chose one way over the other.

Thanks
Jeremy

I had mine built over the top rail because I envisioned sitting on the edge of the deck with my legs dangling in the water and I thought it would be more comfortable that way. I like it, but I will say that the end trim board did come off by the end of the first season. It is an easy fix. BTW, I never did sit on the edge and dangle my legs. :)

dattia said:
I had mine built over the top rail because I envisioned sitting on the edge of the deck with my legs dangling in the water and I thought it would be more comfortable that way. I like it, but I will say that the end trim board did come off by the end of the first season. It is an easy fix. BTW, I never did sit on the edge and dangle my legs. :)

Ha! This is one of my wife's arguments for building over! LOL!

If you build the deck over the top rail and have to change the liner in the future you will have to remove the boards over the top rail in order to get the old liner off and the new liner on. If you build just under the rails, you can still sit on the edge and hang your feet over, you're just sitting back about 5" to have your weight on the deck. Use the google search at the bottom left of this page to search for above ground pool deck and click images. You can then click on the pictures you are interested in to read the threads for more information.

How about a little bit of both??????? You can always take the decking up underneath the top rail, and then................. maybe just build a "dangle your legs over the side" box if you will that overhangs the rail. Extra seating, leg dangling, removable, possible storage and as long as you like. After 34 years of marriage, I've obviously learned to compromise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.