Final steps clearing swamp- jacks magic?

nugget

Jun 6, 2013
Lehighton, PA
Hello, I have shocked our pool per your direction for three weeks. Finally passed to of the three overnight fc/ cc tests. Fc lose .5 & cc .5 TC is at 19. However water is still brownish with viability approx. 2.5-3 ft. PH was lil high prior to shock treatment, so straining on liner, skimmer & returns. I figure time to suspend iron with 3 qts Jacks Magic? When is it best to add product? Does the bottle give instructions on how/ where to add it? Thank you so much for your help, neve knew anything about a pool & tons of reading here almost have pool ready for the 4th!!

However water is still brownish with viability approx. 2.5-3 ft.
I am a little concerned about this statement (assume "viability" is meant to state "visibility"). If the brownish color was solely due to metals, the water may still be brownish but relatively transparent with a visibility greater than 2.5 - 3 ft.

I suspect that there is left over algae or other debris from the shock process. Before adding sequestrant, I would run the filter 24/7 and brush the pool once or twice daily and see if it clears up a bit more. Since you have a sand filter, it may just take a little longer to clear up any left-over remnants. You can speed thing up a bit by adding DE to a sand filter. Keep an eye on filter pressure and backwash as needed. Would hate to see you add product right now and then have to backwash and remove some of the sequestrant along with the debris.

Post back in a couple of days and see if the visibility of the water has cleared up some. Even if it's still brownish, it should be more transparent.

Thank you for your input. Yes "visibility" darn auto fill... I will keep working at this project as you suggested. The pump & filter have been running 24/7 for almost three weeks. The pressure (typically 15) really affected unless I add DE. (w/o DE can go days w/ couple hours & it's in upper 20's) I try to scrub & add 1/2-1 cup DE especially after scrubbing @ least 1-2 times a day & (vac every other day) Getting anxious, but as you said don't want a set back... Should I keep pool @ shock level?

nugget:

Can you post a picture of your pool? In the meantime, how does the water clarity compare to the pool pictured in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-green-from-ketrol-t64185.html (it's the 5th post on page 1). This pool has a deep end and, although the water is greenish, I can see the pool vac at the bottom of the deep end on the far side of the pool.

Dealing with metals while shocking is a kind of a Catch-22 situation. If you are going to continue holding FC at shock level, I would hold off on adding sequestrant. It is difficult to add sequestrant and get things balanced enough for the sequestrant to be secure during the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.