Repair holes in mortar under coping

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi. We have a new fiberglass pool (installed last Fall) with a paver coping. We have several 'holes' in the mortar joint under the coping and, although they are fairly small, I am concerned that water is getting into these spaces (not to mention it's aesthetically unpleasing). What is the best way to fill these holes? Can I use a silicone caulk or something similar? Thanks on advance for the help !

DOMO said:
Hi. We have a new fiberglass pool (installed last Fall) with a paver coping. We have several 'holes' in the mortar joint under the coping and, although they are fairly small, I am concerned that water is getting into these spaces (not to mention it's aesthetically unpleasing). What is the best way to fill these holes? Can I use a silicone caulk or something similar? Thanks on advance for the help !

Why not contact the builder?

Hi all, Apologies for the delayed reply. Please see the attached 2 pictures. These are just 2 of the areas where there are holes in the mortar, there are several others, some of which are bigger than these. Thanks for the help!

Hi. I can't see the pictures on the site for some reason, but the pics are of the top of the fiberglass wall, the mortar joint, and the coping above that. It is quite possible it is a crack as we have experience multiples cracks and punctures in the shell due to improper installation. Essentially, the installer did not perform the dig out appropriately (among other tasks during construction) and set the shell on ledge which has compromised the structural integrity of the shell in many places.

I don't know the grout color or brand. Also, will new mortar adhere to the old and fill the holes smoothly? Had thought about colored silicone caulk, but didn't know if that was an acceptable solution.

New grout will adhear in my experience, and it is up to the installer's (you) ability to get it to blend in texture wise.

The biggest issues will be color matching. Ususally if you have to use more than 1 bag of grout you mix all the dry grount mixture together to get a uniform color for the whole project. So even if you knew exact brand and color it sill may not match perfectly.

Have you looked at the grout selection as one of the big box stores yet?

Any way to get a sample of your grout to take with you i.e. break off a piece somewhere?

I assume your pool is staying put? Meaning your not getting a replacement job...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not checked out any grout selections yet, but will start to research. As for the future of the pool, we had an independent expert come and do an inspection and his findings were that, due to the extent of the damage caused and the improper installation, the only remedy is full replacement (!!!). We are going through several channels in order to go through that process, but in the interim, I wanted to look into resolving this mortar issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.