Help First ABG filled with Well water have coffee water

Talina

Jul 14, 2011
We installed and filled our intex 22 x 52 pool 1 day ago, and have horrible coffee water from the dreaded well water full of iron. My questions are What are the best ways to filter out the iron, should I be putting in the bbb's while it's still brown or do I wait until the water has cleared. Please help first pool.

It is virtually impossible to get iron out of a pool....it does not filter out. Your best bet is to get it tested for iron to see just how much you have and plan on using a sequestrant as long as you use the well as your water source. Sorry.

That happened to me too this past weekend. I just added the recommended amount of hth Metal Control and it cleared up within a few hours. I will have to continue to add a maintenance dose weekly from now on, but as duraleigh says, there is no way to remove it, so the sequestrant is the only option.

I used the tht metal out stuff from Wal-Mart but it barely made a difference in 2 days. I had already gotten the water tested for Iron 2 days ago, (the first day I filled) but the regular pool guy was not there that day so the one didn't know what to do other than put metal control into it.What I did find out at another pool forum was that you can take a milk jug and fill it with pillow filling then drill holes in the bottom of the milk jug, then attach the jug to your return and overnight it cleared it tremendously. Then I have replaced and am doing it all day today and it is looking awesome.

The metal sequestrants hold the iron in suspension in the water, but they don't actually remove them. You most certainly can clear your water through filtering water with high Iron content. I have done it and have emptied the bottles and cleaned my filters that are removing it. I also purchased a Bobby, which is a filter you connect to your hose for when you need to retop or fill pool, it also filters iron. My Pool Blaster vacuum arrived today and I was able to vacuum the Iron that settles at the bottom of the pool. So with the metal out isolating, the homade filter on the return, and the vacuum I have cleared the water 90% in 8 hours. The question I previously asked here was still waiting for an answer is if I should be adding Bleach, baking soda, or borax during this process. But since I received no answer to my actual question here, I went back to the pool place a couple hours ago because altho my chlorine lvls were ideal my ph was slightly high and my TA was 240 the pool guy told me to stop the chlorine for now and put a gallon of muratic acid in my 10,000 gal pool to lower my TA and a product by Natural Chemistry called Metal free, it is not suppose to be affected by the chlorine. And is phosphate free.

For anyone that has had an Iron Problem I suggest using a good Sequestrant, and if you have already added chlorine use the Natural Chemistry called Metal Free, and most of all Make a filter with pillow fill in a milk jug with about 20, 1/4 hole drilled in the bottom attatch to your return also rinse or change your filters every few hours or backwash if you use a sand filter. This is what I am doing and I can see my pool on it's way to the clarity we all strive for.

I had a lot of issues with metal in my water. I tried several brands of sequestrant. I now use Jack's Magic products. First, they work and second, Jack was very helpful in clearing up some misconceptions I had about sequestrants. I use the Purple Stuff as I have a salt pool. If you call Jack, he will recommend a product specifically for your situation.

PridgNYC said:
That happened to me too this past weekend. I just added the recommended amount of hth Metal Control and it cleared up within a few hours. I will have to continue to add a maintenance dose weekly from now on, but as duraleigh says, there is no way to remove it, so the sequestrant is the only option.
Same here using Metal Out. Let it collect the iron then vacuum to waste. Not sure how big the pool is. Would it be better to pay for water delivery? That is what I do then after first fill I top it off usually 1000 gal. worth.
I would not add chlorine at all until iron is gone as it only makes it worse.

Good luck once it is cleaned you will love the pool.

Oh we have a nice water softener system, but unfortunately it is not hooked up to the outdoor spout and I didn't even think about the Iron (that I know exist in my water lol) before I filled it.

The pool is adjusting and the color is lightening a lot. I am just unsure at what point to start putting chlorine in. Like when the water is what color? It has changed from coffee to a light chocolate to very light rusty tinge, I can clearly see the bottom but its still discolored. I thought I read somewhere that at some point it should start turning a light green, no clue when to start adding the chlorine. I did go ahead and add the muratic acid and the metal free. My Ph and TA are way to high. And after adding 1 and 1/2 gallon of muratic acid into a 10,000 gallon pool they are not going down. Has me baffled. I am now afraid to put my Pool Blaster vacuum in the pool with the muratic acid in there, so I was going to hold off on vacuuming for 12 hours.

You can add the chlorine now. It will still do its job and kill the bad stuff. The water will just be discolored. My mistake a few seasons ago was thinking that the chlorine was reacting with the metal and not doing anything. So, I got an algae bloom that I only got rid of by draining the pool. It was a small Intex.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.