Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Few questions on adding borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Few questions on adding borates

Just re-read the sticky as I'm definitely considering adding borates to my pool, but have a few questions please-

How critical is it to first adjust to your TA target? Can this be reserved for after the borates are added, or will it mess the process up if you don't? My TA is currently at 170, and it usually takes me some time to get it down to 80, and I want the algae protection now

Is it safe to assume if one has NEVER added borates to a pool that their current level is 0ppm? I'd like to do this this weekend as it looks like we'll finally get some decent weather, and no one local sells borate test strips. I can order them on line for later monitoring assuming the answer to this questions is yes. I do have salt at about 1500ppm. and only use bleach and cya (currently less than 10 but will be adding it tonight to get to 30-40).

I'll have to see if when our Walmart is going to get more in. They only have 5 boxes, and I need 16. Same deal at the hardware store, I need 5 gals of muratic acid and they only have 3 left in stock.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is a very good idea to lower TA first. If you think it will take a while now, it will take much longer after you add borates.

Yes, it is reasonably safe to assume that the borate level is currently zero. You are still going to want borate test strips, so there is no harm in testing it before hand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is a very good idea to lower TA first. If you think it will take a while now, it will take much longer after you add borates.
    Thanks. I'll get this done first while I start hoarding the supplies.

Yes, it is reasonably safe to assume that the borate level is currently zero. You are still going to want borate test strips, so there is no harm in testing it before hand.
    Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is muratic acid a liquid? The stores I go to all have a dry ph reducer. Even Lowes.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yes, muriatic acid is a liquid. It is often sold in a cardboard box that contains two plastic 1 gallon jugs. It is not usually sold in the pool department, though sometimes it is in the same general area. Sometimes it is in the paint department and sometimes with concrete supplies.

The powdered stuff sold in the pool department is dry acid, which is usually noticeably more expensive for the same PH change.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Rangeball,

One thing you might want to check is your fill water TA. Mine is very high so I have a real problem keeping low TA so borates didn't help me very much to keep my PH stable. Although it still should help the chlorine consumption.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7
    Yeah, our fill water was 300+ the last time I tested it. I'd like to see a bit more stable PH from the borates, but my main reason is for the algae control and subsequent reduced chlorine demand.