First post, bought home with pool 2 months ago and have ?s

flarfum25

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hello all,
First, let me say that I can't even believe how awesome this site is. I've already read quite a bit on here and am so grateful you're all here and so willing to help us! I'm going to give a not-so-short rundown on my last 2 months as a pool owner and then hit you all up with some questions. Please forgive me if I'm posting incorrectly and steer me in the right direction, I am a definite work in progress here.

We bought the house in early April and had to open the pool early for Baltimore weather, bc the previous owners had allowed the cheap tarp cover to fall into the pool and it was full of leafy brown/green mucky water that I worried would only get much muckier as the warmer weather heated all that muck up under the tarp. As neither my husband nor I had the first clue about pools, we had a reputable pool place open it for us at what I thought was a steep price. They did a great job though and it looked beautiful after 3 visits. BUT.. then we ignored it completely for a few weeks.

There was a lot of other stuff going on at home stress-wise and we foolishly thought the water looked good and we weren't swimming in it yet anyway so no big deal. Then we saw the algae start up. I took water samples to the pool store and used the chlorine tabs in the garage and bought some dichlor shock pouches and Phosfree (phosphates were 500 and we do get a ton of leaves in the pool) and added that. And scrubbed the sides and bottom of the pool with the big brush, mostly it came off easily. Had to backwash like 10 times bc I added the whole bottle of Phosfree at once haha. Another lesson learned.

Water samples to pool store showed on-the-low-side-but-acceptable (1ppm) chlorine, slightly too high pH and slightly too low alkalinity and I almost bought what they recommended but finally decided to research some stuff online first as the pH and alkalinity seemed to contradict each other and that made me nervous. Since researching online and over the course of the last several weeks, I have added a few more already-purchased dichlor pouches and a couple bottles of bleach (the 8.25% is all I can find at ANY stores around me) along with 2 pucks/week in the floater (we have them in the garage already anyway but only a few left) and bought a test kit I got off amazon (Poolmaster 22260 5-way) that was well-reviewed but I now wish I'd gotten one with the CYA test.

My test results after the chlorine showed the pH was 7.6 but the alkalinity only 60. So I added 5 lbs baking soda over a week along with a little more 8.25% bleach here and there and my tests finally looked good. Took a sample to the pool store last week for the CYA test and got an A+ report card. Was one of the happiest days I've had in a long time, hubbie was making fun of me for getting so serious with it. He's happy of course though.

Ok, now for the questions. I've read all about the chlorine options and my mind is too jumbled up to make a decision. Seems you all suggest the liquid bleach route hands down but the idea of having to add the CYA all the time seems confusing. More to figure out, no?

So far our chlorine has stayed fairly well but the hotter/sunnier days are coming this week so my luck may run out there. If I have to buy CYA and bleach anyway, wouldn't it maybe be better to just add liquid bleach regularly and every once in a while throw a dichlor pouch in to add the CYA that way?

Also, when I bought the phosfree, I also bought a bottle of PoolPerfect+phosfree to maintain a phosphate free environment. But then I read so much about "not adding anything I don't need" so that I haven't actually added any yet. Should I? Seems harmless enough, only a capful or two a week?

And I have more questions, one about a faint bit of a remaining algae line we can't seem to completely scrub off (below the sliding board, from where the cover had fallen in) and one about some brown stains on the plastic built-in steps and a few about good places to get replacement pool parts like a new light and a bottom rung for the ladder and maybe a new diving board as ours seems to have a crack... I assume I shouldn't post those here though so hopefully someone will let me know where I should. Or I'll find that now..

Anyway, let me know if I've missed anything or if I should post some pictures or something. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!!

What we need to know to answer your questions

Post merged at 6:30 AM Butterfly

Oops, I just made my first post and while Imade sure I had the required info in my signature, I forgot to post my test results. Tried to edit by clicking on "your posts" but nothing is there... Guess bc I'm new it takes a while. Anyway, I did mention that I got an A+ from the pool store so if more info is still good to have:
FC-2
TC-2
CH-220
CYA-45
TA-80
pH-7.6
copper-0
iron-0
TDS-600
Phosphates-0

Hope that helps!
Thanks,
Nicole

Re: First post, bought home with pool 2 months ago and have

Welcome to TFP?

Keep reading Pool School.

You do not need to worry about phosphates. Waste of money. Maintain adequate chlorine will prevent algae from starting. But, there is no way to know what is adequate chlorine without knowing the CYA. Get one of the recommended test kits, see link in my signature.

The CYA does not have to be constantly added. It does not get consumed and that is the problem with the pucks and the Dichlor, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC needs to be. You should likely stop using both until you understand what they are adding and can test it for yourself.

If you still see algae, then you need to follow the shock PROCESS as described in Pool School ... this will require one of the good test kits, but that investment will quickly pay for itself.

Welcome! You have come to the right place! You are one step ahead of the game.

The steps to a Trouble Free Pool that is easy and cheap are:
-Find TFP site- done
-order a GOOD test kit-look at my siggy for info. It WILL save you money and time in the long run.
-look around the compare prices of liquid chlorine/bleach. Check at the pool store and your local Ace Hardware as well as Wal-mart. Make sure you are looking at ONLY chlorine/bleach. NO additives like is in outdoor/no splash/pretty smells.
-post pics-
-ask questions as needed. NEVER feel as if any questions is too small or silly.
-read and reread pool school.

GOOD LUCK!

Kim

Thank you Jason and Kim!

I just bought the TF100 test kit AND the magnetic stirrer, very excited! I hemmed and hawed for a couple hours about buying such an expensive test kit after recently buying so much other stuff but I trust you guys and I can't wait to get to the point that everyone on here keeps raving about-- trouble free and cheap! So hopefully they will arrive quickly and I can get started on the shocking.

Couple questions-
-In the Pool School "The Shock Process", the first step is to "Check and adjust the PH to the low end of the normal range". What exactly does that mean, 7.4? If I'm good now at 7.6, do I need to lower it first?
-Sorry if this is annoying to ask, but are you suggesting I shock bc of the algae line? Thing is, it's so faint (I took 2 pics but not sure how to get them on here- let me know if you want to see them) and the water looks beautiful other than that, perfectly clear. No signs of even a bit of algae anywhere else, just that one line below the sliding board, across the length of the whole board area, about 12feet by 3 inches. It looks as if we couldn't scrub there bc the sliding board was in the way but my husband even got in the pool and scrubbed. And he's a big guy, plenty of muscle behind the scrubbing. So I just wonder if I could maybe put in an extra couple bottles of bleach, maybe bring the FC up to 5 and see if it disappears. Again, I apologize for not knowing what I'm talking about and making suggestions; I am just trying to figure it all out. This stuff is confusing; my 6th grade niece probably knows more about science than I do. And the idea of raising my FC all the way up to 18 sounds scary (my CYA was 45 according to the pool store but we'll see what my test shows when it arrives). Especially if I'm supposed to do an OCLT once I get the FC that high. So I think that means that I get the FC to 18 (or whatever the chart tells me once I test) in the evening and then test bright and early the next day and it's not supposed to have lowered more than 1ppm. Then I'm good... but how long til we can swim in it then? Prob not great to swim in water with that high a FC level, right?
-Also, once I shock the pool and then once my FC gets back to 5 or 6, the goal is to then just have to keep it there, which shouldn't be difficult at all as long as I test every day right? From what I've seen from others on here, I'll probably be adding some bleach daily? Easy peasy.
-Jason, thanks for the info about the CYA not having to be constantly added. I don't think I read that particular bit of info anywhere and it's really a huge bit to me! Big load off my mind. Makes the whole thing much less daunting. And also about the phosphates, I hear you that it's a waste of money. But since I have it already and can't return it, do you think I should just throw it away? If it can help even a tiny little bit I may as well use it now... unless of course it will harm it.
- and Kim, thanks for suggesting a bleach price comparison. I started checking today while at the grocery store, $3.69 for basic store brand 8.25%. Wal-mart is where I bought the last batch and that must've been cheaper but I will look all around. Also thanks for the reassuring on the silly questions; it does seem that many on here are "getting it" a lot quicker than I am and I do feel a bit sheepish with some of my questions : )

Thanks very much!!!

If your FC is indeed 2, it's too low for your CYA of 45. This could be how the algae took hold. Be sure to use http://poolcalculator.com to keep your chemistry within balance. Don't forget to put your source as troublefreepool.com and enter your vinyl and bleach settings in the yellow Suggested Goals box near the bottom.

Responses in RED below.

flarfum25 said:
Thank you Jason and Kim!

I just bought the TF100 test kit AND the magnetic stirrer, very excited! I hemmed and hawed for a couple hours about buying such an expensive test kit after recently buying so much other stuff but I trust you guys and I can't wait to get to the point that everyone on here keeps raving about-- trouble free and cheap! So hopefully they will arrive quickly and I can get started on the shocking.

Couple questions-
-In the Pool School "The Shock Process", the first step is to "Check and adjust the PH to the low end of the normal range". What exactly does that mean, 7.4? If I'm good now at 7.6, do I need to lower it first? You should lower it down to around 7.2 before starting
-Sorry if this is annoying to ask, but are you suggesting I shock bc of the algae line? Basically, yes. If you see algae or have CC > 0.5 or the water is not crystal clear, then you need to go through the shock process.
Thing is, it's so faint (I took 2 pics but not sure how to get them on here- let me know if you want to see them) and the water looks beautiful other than that, perfectly clear. No signs of even a bit of algae anywhere else, just that one line below the sliding board, across the length of the whole board area, about 12feet by 3 inches. It looks as if we couldn't scrub there bc the sliding board was in the way but my husband even got in the pool and scrubbed. And he's a big guy, plenty of muscle behind the scrubbing. So I just wonder if I could maybe put in an extra couple bottles of bleach, maybe bring the FC up to 5 and see if it disappears. You will not know if you have eradicated everything without following the process and passing the 3 criteria to stop. If there is not much in the water, this may only take a couple days ... or it could take weeks
Again, I apologize for not knowing what I'm talking about and making suggestions; I am just trying to figure it all out. This stuff is confusing; my 6th grade niece probably knows more about science than I do. And the idea of raising my FC all the way up to 18 sounds scary (my CYA was 45 according to the pool store but we'll see what my test shows when it arrives). Especially if I'm supposed to do an OCLT once I get the FC that high. So I think that means that I get the FC to 18 (or whatever the chart tells me once I test) in the evening and then test bright and early the next day and it's not supposed to have lowered more than 1ppm. Then I'm good... but how long til we can swim in it then? Prob not great to swim in water with that high a FC level, right? It is safe to swim up to the shock level FC for your CYA. This is what most people in the pool industry do not understand. With the CYA in the water there is much less "active" chlorine in the water. With a FC of 18ppm and a CYA of 45ppm ... there is actually MUCH less active chlorine than there is in a public indoor pool with a FC of 2ppm and 0ppm of CYA. With no CYA, the water is MUCH more harsh
-Also, once I shock the pool and then once my FC gets back to 5 or 6, the goal is to then just have to keep it there, which shouldn't be difficult at all as long as I test every day right? From what I've seen from others on here, I'll probably be adding some bleach daily? Easy peasy. Correct. You should test and add chlorine every day and never let it below the minimum FC level for you CYA. So you will target a FC level that is 3-4ppm ABOVE the minimum so it does not drop too low
-Jason, thanks for the info about the CYA not having to be constantly added. I don't think I read that particular bit of info anywhere and it's really a huge bit to me! Big load off my mind. Makes the whole thing much less daunting. And also about the phosphates, I hear you that it's a waste of money. But since I have it already and can't return it, do you think I should just throw it away? If it can help even a tiny little bit I may as well use it now... unless of course it will harm it. I don't think it causes any harm if you follow the instructions ... you were already hurt in the wallet.
- and Kim, thanks for suggesting a bleach price comparison. I started checking today while at the grocery store, $3.69 for basic store brand 8.25%. Wal-mart is where I bought the last batch and that must've been cheaper but I will look all around. Also thanks for the reassuring on the silly questions; it does seem that many on here are "getting it" a lot quicker than I am and I do feel a bit sheepish with some of my questions : ) Check out this little app: bleach-price-calculator-t62918.html

Thanks very much!!!

You are SO on the right path! I had to just order my test kit. My husband kept showing me the cheap 3 way test kits in Walmart. LOL I told him if he wanted to be in charge of the pool upkeep HE can try it with the cheap test. If he wanted ME to be in charge I would be using the CORRECT kit that tested everything.

He has since seen the light! The pool has been up for just about a whole year and I have never had a moments trouble out of it that I could not fix with the test kit and some bleach!

In fact I just "fixed" a problem in the pool. I kept losing bleach overnight and notice that there was quite a bit of stuff on the bottom. I did the shock process and HE did the sweeping (see where I am going with this????). I still could not pass the OCLT. I had the bright I idea to watch him sweep. WHAT A JOKE! Honey really?? You call THAT sweeping the pool???? Once I showed him how I needed him to do it all has been right with the pool. That is all he is asked to do with the pool HE so wanted.

So see everyone can still learn how to do what needs to be done no matter how old or how long they have had the pool LOL.

Do you have a pool store that sells chlorine? Check on their price as well. The one thing I did NOT want to have to deal with was many trips to get chlorine. We came up with a great way for us so I only have to go to get chlorine about every other week or so.

Happy swimming!

Kim

Ok now I'm really getting excited. Going to run out tomorrow and buy some muriatic acid to lower my pH to 7.2 in preparation for some shocking : )
Robbie, thanks for the poolcalculator recommendation. Right now that calculator is still a little confusing to me but I'm hoping once I get my levels tested properly with the TF100 and start the shock process I'll be on the right path. My FC is definitely really at 2ppm though, I've tested every day and Leslie's did too, always 2. I've been all over the place with the kinds of chlorine I've been adding (due to what was already here and what they sold me at Leslie's along with plenty of bleach I've bought after reading bits and pieces on BBB). Now I am finally dedicating myself though, so only bleach or liquid chlorine from now on.
Jason, so much good info in these answers, thank you! I'm on top of the pH lowering, will start with the muriatic as soon as my test kit arrives. Once I get the whole shock process done and over with, will I have to raise the pH again or will it have risen already from the shocking? I'm sure I can find this info somewhere but I only had a few minutes before I have to get in bed and don't have time to read more tonight, although it does get addicting. Also very interesting learning some about the CYA/active chlorine/harshness relationships, crazy that this isn't normal public knowledge! My B-I-L has had an inground pool for many years and told us this summer as we were opening ours that he spent like $2000 last summer on chemicals! He must not have ever tried to look this info up online. The second I have a firm grip on it all, I'm filling him in.
And Kim, I hope to be in your shoes one day, maybe even next year! I also am the one who will be doing the majority of the pool maintenence and when the season started I never had the first clue that I'd even have half as much understanding as I already do, so I'm super optimistic that I'm going to be a whiz soon enough, hehe. When I told husband today that I bought a more expensive test kit (left out the part about the magnetic stirrer HA) all he had to say was "will this save us money?", so I'm good there. Way I see it, once I get the hang of this stuff I might be spending between $10-$15 a week on the pool and that might be about it. Maybe I'm TOO optimistic, I don't know. Either way I think I can DEFINITELY say that we will be saving money just by me being on this site and learning from you all. One thing I'm confused about though with your story about the 'sweeping'- does that mean vacuuming or brushing? My husband is also the one who does the majority of the scrubbing and vacuuming (his only chores, and I vacuum about half the time but I hate to scrub) and I'm wondering if there's a technique we should be using that we aren't right now. What was it that your husband was slacking on specifically? Going too fast?
Lastly, we have a few pool stores around me- Leslie's and like 2 or 3 independent ones. I will check each for liquid chlorine and prices, using the app Jason linked above I feel confident that I will find a good price somewhere. Have an Aldi around here too so will check that out as well, read somewhere on the forum that they have good prices. Would you mind sharing with me what your method you've found is? Do you buy liquid chlorine from a pool store sometimes?

I'll be sure to keep posting as my kit arrives and I get a-crackin'. I'm finding it's on my mind all day long, mixed in and behind the million to-dos that are constantly on my list. Pool stuff, this forum, excitement and hope. It's all quite funny how I'm getting...

That is a lot to read on my phone. The calculator well make more sense when you get hands on. Tell us what you get a few times and we can confirm you are using it correctly.

Likely the pH will be fine when the shock process is complete. If not, easy to adjust.

You will not spend anywhere close the amount you BIL claims, but it may be more than $10/week.

Cheapest chlorine here is in refillable jugs from a pool store, but they are not near me so would spend more fuel to go get it than I would save. I use the 10% from Lowe's with my 5% discount, but just switched to SWG, so not using much anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The only place here that I could get anything at a reasonable price was ar Ace Hardware. 10% liquaid chlorinator for $3.00 a gallon :/

Look around everywhere :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would just run the brush along the bottom of the pool. He did not get the whole bottom. Just a push here, go around in a circle here kind of thing. NOW he starts at the top of the side, goes all the around then does it again in the middle of the side THEN does it again on the bottom of the side. SO 3 times around just for the sides. He then does the bottom.

When I was showing him about sweeping the sides I hit "paydirt" as in I was able to brush some stuff (algae?) off and it was visible to him soooooooooooooooooooo he saw what I was talking about! Right now he is doing it once a day. I am sure that it could be done every other or every 3 days but for right now.......every day is working for me LOL

Costs-$16.09 for 7.5 gals. of 11% bleach = $2.14 gal. for me SCORE! This is a our local Ace Hardware that is right up the road. I would say that I have to get bleach every other week so just under $9.00 a week to maintain the pool. I rarely have to add anything else. I am using the test kit stuff from last year so good there still.

What is funny/weird to me is how some people are so resistant to getting away from the pool store. I have a co-worker that spends up to $200 a month if not more on her pool. I have tried to tell her about TFP and she just says "That is a lot of money for a test kit when the pool store will do it for free." Hummmmmmmm you spend MORE in a month on stuff you do not need then you would for a test kit that will last the whole season! Oh well I tried!

Kim

Hello friends!
Got my tf100 kit and lots of bleach! I work all day tomorrow so plan to do the shocking on Sunday. One quick question before I do. Bc there's some algae that I'm trying to get rid of and will be brushing off and vacuuming up (at least I hope to get a lot of it with the vacuum), should I vacuum to waste? To keep the majority out of the filter? Course, if I do that, I may have to add a bit more water so then I guess some levels might change... Prob only need to add a couple inches but that's still a lot of water I guess...
PS the TF100 kit and the magnetic stirrer thingie are both so cool! I actually am thinking of putting up a special shelf for my special items. Might need some sort of special uniform to put on while doing my special tests every day...

Lol I did that... Got a whole section in my shed for my special pool items lol

Made my hubby do it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to replies for flarfum25 re: vacuum to waste to keep algae out of the filter. I have wondered about why that is important. ;o)

The only real reason to vacuum to waste is if you have a LOT of debris. There is no problem vacuuming to the filter ... You will just have to clean the filter sooner.

Update and few more questions..
Tested water today with me TF100. Love this kit. Very easy to use and a place for everything. Here are my results:
FC- 5
CC- .5
TA- 90
CH- 250
CYA- 45
pH- 7.5
So basically, the same thing I've been getting recently except higher FC (I've added a few gallons of 8.25% over the last 5 days). Now before I add some muriatic acid to lower my pH in preparation for the shock process, I have a few new concerns/questions.
First, this muriatic acid sounds terrifying. I know it's used regularly by everyone and I'm not scared of it IN THE POOL but the storage advice I've read is freaking me out! I can't keep it outside, we have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and there's nowhere I can guarantee complete safety. So that leaves indoors, either in our basement on a shelf or in the garage that has no A/C, also on a shelf. I'm reading that once I seal the lid on nice and tight I should put the bottle in a black garbage bag and seal THAT up. This seems like a whole lot of caution to be using in addition to the goggles, long gloves, mask, bucket of water and trickling hose I need to have next to me while I add it to the pool at a rate of 2 solid minutes for one bottle. All the last part I'm cool with but it's just so SCARY sounding. Should I even be leaving this at my house at all?? Home Depot only sold it in 2bottle quantities and I'm even scared of the second unopened bottle. Ok so that's one. Any suggestions on storage indoors or calming my nerves?
Second, I'm still second guessing if I even have algae. Only because this little line I'm complaining about, was there even after the initial 3 shockings by the pool company that came and opened the pool. Remember, the pool cover had fallen in and the water was filthy murky green brown and thick with leaves so for them to get it sparkling crystal clear, had to be some serious shocking right? Why wouldn't the line have left then? Maybe we didn't scrub hard enough there until AFTER we'd ignored it for a while and the FC had fallen back to zero; I don't know. But we did scrub it then. Just maybe not quite as hard as he has since. Anyway. Thoughts? Could it be some sort of staining that is not related to algae? And can someone help me with posting a picture for you to see it yourselves?
Lastly, and this is a dumb one I'm sure but these test kits always say to keep everything dry and I'm a touch particular sometimes w rules so what I've been doing after testing is, shaking vigorously as much water as I possibly can off the tubes and lids and such. Then I bring the items inside and let them air dry overnight before placing them back in the cases the following morning. Now that I have the TF100, there are more items to let air dry and they're spread about my dining room table. Seems a little excessive. Do I need them to be THAT dry before putting away?
Ok that's it I think. If you guys tell me to shock still, I'll work on the pH lowering probably Wednesday evening because we have friends coming to swim Wednesday and I don't want to cancel because I'm mid-shock-process. Sound reasonable? Thanks in advance, again : )
Nicole

I would suggest getting a plastic deck box that you could put a lock on to store the acid.

Do the shock process. If your water ifs fine it will only take a day to pass the 3 criteria.

I put my wet vials back in the box. Really the powder is all you need to keep dry.

jblizzle said:
I would suggest getting a plastic deck box that you could put a lock on to store the acid.

Do the shock process. If your water ifs fine it will only take a day to pass the 3 criteria.

I put my wet vials back in the box. Really the powder is all you need to keep dry.

I keep an old hand towel by my test shelf next to the pool, so my vials etc don't get wet. I take a large sample in a 16 oz plastic cup, then rinse the test tubes, and fill to the proper line. Dry my hands, then do the testing.

I had ruined a new vial of DPD the first week I had my kit......wet hands are not a good thing at times :hammer: :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.