Can't get the PH down

allsbp

Jun 8, 2012
Is there another way to test PH except the pink color test? have put 2 gallon of muriatic acid in and it is still at 8.0 (I think anyway, have a hard time distinquishing the intensity of the pink color). TA is 290 -- it has come down some. FC is 4.0 tonight. Put a new liner in this spring, and so have all new water in (did this about one month ago) It looks good, but the MA does not seem to be cutting the high PH much --- is the only thing to do is keep putting more MA in? thanks for any advice.

16000 gallon
inground
in Missouri
vinyl liner

allsbp said:
Is there another way to test PH except the pink color test? have put 2 gallon of muriatic acid in and it is still at 8.0 (I think anyway, have a hard time distinquishing the intensity of the pink color). TA is 290 -- it has come down some. FC is 4.0 tonight. Put a new liner in this spring, and so have all new water in (did this about one month ago) It looks good, but the MA does not seem to be cutting the high PH much --- is the only thing to do is keep putting more MA in? thanks for any advice.

16000 gallon
inground
in Missouri
vinyl liner
Sounds like it.

When I took control of my pool - same size - I was reading 8.2. I added a 10 lb bucket of dry acid, then a gallon of MA before I even moved the color towards the center!

Anything over 8.2 reads as 8.2. And note, pH is logarithmic - like the Richter Scale; the jump from 9.2 to 8.2 is 10X the jump from 8.2 to 7.2

Also note the pool calculator carries a disclaimer that "Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes."

Thanks much for this info -- did not know any of that but it sounds like our PH could be way higher than I though. ---- I'm not familiar with Dry acid so will look for more info on that.

allsbp said:
Okay -- thanks.

Do you think I should just add a gallon at a time and keep testing daily?

Thanks so much for your quick help!
No! Never just dump anything in!

As stated above, the jumps are not equal. Plug 8.2 into the pool calculator and 7.4 in the the target and add what it says. Recheck an hour or more later and see what it says. Plug that in and repeat. Eventually, pH will start to change. When it does, you're below 8.2 and the next dose will get you perfect. Also note that you need the TA reading to calculate the acid dose in http://www.poolcalculator.com/ .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.