Shocking Pool how long should fc stay elevated?

Jun 21, 2013
How long should fc stay elevated when you shock your pool. Over night, or just for a few hours. trying to get my cc down with no luck. water is crystal clear, well it was until I shocked the heck out of it, hopefully I didn't screw up

I've read it, understand it for the most part, have the tf 100, when I use the pool calculator and shock to the dosage it tells me to, Im not seeing the same or close results in my fc test. I cant seem to get rid of my cc

Welcome! :wave:

Are you sure you're done? There are three parts to passing the tests.

Anyway, some people get lucky and are done in four days, some take three weeks. It just depends on too many variables. Make sure you scrub any hiding places, like steps and ladders.

last night I dumped in 5 gals of 12.5% hypochlorite, that's what pool calculator told me I needed, this morning when I tested I had basically none or .5 fc and loots of cc. so do I go by pool calculator, or just keep testing while im shocking to see actual fc numbers at shock level

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow. yea I think that's the boat im in, the 5 gallons I put in last night did nothing, only made my cc worse, and if I wouldn't have asked questions here tonight the 12 I had put in already would have done nothing for me. I think I have it figured out, just keep dumping, and testing, when the algae is done eating, my fc wont drop like it is, it will hold at more of a shock level overnight, hopefully then my swg can handle it from there. Does that sound right in simple terms???

CornBelt said:
wow. yea I think that's the boat im in, the 5 gallons I put in last night did nothing, only made my cc worse, and if I wouldn't have asked questions here tonight the 12 I had put in already would have done nothing for me. I think I have it figured out, just keep dumping, and testing, when the algae is done eating, my fc wont drop like it is, it will hold at more of a shock level overnight, hopefully then my swg can handle it from there. Does that sound right in simple terms???
Yep.

You're trying to get ahead of the algae. So you kill off 40% or so with the first load of chlorine, then maybe 25% with the next, then 20%, and so on. Each interval should require less and less bleach. And note the earlier post I made - the MPS shock gives falsely high CC readings. But that will go away.

I wasn't going to test for cc tonight, I just added 4 more gallons and im back up to 35 ppm, guess I will check it in a half hour see how fast it is dropping. is this something that can be done in a few hours. and if I shock at a higher fc level will it speed up the process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.